Motherboard dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what i will explain after the information and tests i've gathered. I try turning on my pc with no pci cards, no graphics card and no ram inserted into my motherboard and i read that there is supposed to be some "BIOS beeps" without those things connected and I don't get ANY beeps at all. Is that a sign there's a motherboard problem?

The board is an Intel D865PERL.

If the Intel BIOS has a beep code for CPU only then I'd say yes. I thought Award based BIOS's were the only ones that had a CPU only beep response.

Apart from that, you seem to have walked in halfway through the movie...why are you trying to get a beep code from a board with only a CPU ?
Normal procedure for testing a POST would be to have CPU, RAM, graphics and of course a PSU attached. The beep code would then narrow down the troubleshooting options a little.
Have you gone through the troubleshooting options already ? If so, what was the outcome ?
Basically, more information required.

A motherboard model + no beep code isn't a lot to go on you understand.

I was trying to skip the stuff that i have done but I'll just say it now. There hasn't been any beeps no matter what was connected or not. I tested it with the video card and ram. Still no beeps. Also, beginning of the story is that my monitor was stuck in "stand by mode" and I tried multiple things to fix it. All unsuccessful so far. I tested another PSU on my motherboard and no different results. I tried another cmos "coin cell" battery, that didn't help. I tried refitting and blowing the ram, processor, and video card a few times and still nothing worked. So then this is when i tried to start the pc with a few pieces of hardware unattached and since there hasn't been any beeps no matter what combination of hardware was in or not, I think the motherboard is my problem. It is around 6 years old roughly I should point out. X)

Also, the mouse doesn't seem to be getting power when i turn on the pc. The light flashes for a quick moment right after i press the power button but then stays off completely.

Your diagnosis would seem the correct one then...RIP 865PE mobo.
One consolation is that if you're pretty certain that the CPU is still viable then a replacement board could be gotten for next to nothing-likely shipping would cost more than the hardware.
That presupposes that you have an OEM OS tied to the CPU/board and all the other components on hand.....otherwise it's small change on ebay and time to join life after 478 socket.

lol yea, i was looking at ebay for the same mobo and of course they are all used (from the few i looked up a little more thoroughly) but I have to wait and see if my dad is just going to buy me a whole new system. Idc honestly, If I had the cash, I'd get the replacement mobo. Not my money, so I guess i really won't complain with whatever the outcome is. Just as long as i get a running pc for myself soon lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back