Motherboard makers are releasing updates to help with Windows 11 compatibility

Daniel Sims

Staff
TL;DR: Windows 11's requirement of TPM 2.0 left some users confused as to whether their systems will be compatible when the new operating system releases later this year. Now, people who built custom rigs with Asus or Asrock motherboards can download BIOS updates that will enable TPM by default, if they haven't already switched it on manually.

TechSpot put up a lengthy explanation last month of what TPM is and why Microsoft is requiring it in Windows 11. The security feature is something that most laptops or pre-built desktops should already have enabled by default. Some users with custom builds may still run into an issue however, which motherboard makers are starting to clear up.

TPM started out as a dedicated chip for extra hardware-based security on motherboards, but in recent years motherboards started including firmware-based TPM (fTPM). If your recently-built PC doesn't pass Windows 11's readiness check, or if the security section of Windows 10's settings doesn't show TPM as enabled, you probably need to change a setting in the BIOS. This is different for every BIOS whether it's Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, or MSI.

Asus recently added a section to its website with download links to its latest BIOS version, which switches on fTPM by default for all motherboards where they confirm support for Windows 11. Those who don't download the update and haven't switched on fTPM yet can read Asus' instructions for how to do it manually on the same site.

Asrock also released BIOS updates today that automatically enable fTPM. As of this writing, Gigabyte and MSI haven't followed suit yet, but for a while they have had lists of their motherboards which should be Windows 11 compatible. Here is MSI's list as well as their instructions for enabling fTPM. Gigabyte posted a press release in July detailing its range of fTPM compatibility.

After enabling fTPM in the BIOS, Windows 10 users should see TPM appear in Settings under Windows Security > Device Security > Security Processor.

Permalink to story.

TPM is completely useless and irrelevant for 99.9% of all consumers - it doesn't stop your garden-variety malware at all and is meant for business environments where interlinked trusted hardware can take advantage of it. So why is Microsoft making it a requirement for everyone? Are they planning on marketing Win11 to businesses really, really hard, or is something else at play here? I mean, I'm sure it has nothing to do with non-Microsoft operating systems having trouble running on systems with TPM..

BIOS for X470 available.
You may also see an optional Windows update for AMD Security Device 5.17.0.0 like I did.

TPM is completely useless and irrelevant for 99.9% of all consumers - it doesn't stop your garden-variety malware at all and is meant for business environments where interlinked trusted hardware can take advantage of it. So why is Microsoft making it a requirement for everyone? Are they planning on marketing Win11 to businesses really, really hard, or is something else at play here? I mean, I'm sure it has nothing to do with non-Microsoft operating systems having trouble running on systems with TPM..
They are insistent its for security purposes, yet they do not seem to have any qualms with the insane quantities of your info accessible to any software running even without admin privileges. Every other modern OS makes Windows look like a security and privacy nightmare and it has nothing to do with TPM.

"Security" is the same explanation they used for soldered ram on surface devices (Because someone using a regular surface definitely cares about the ability of a would-be attacker to literally freeze your RAM sticks in liquid nitrogen and access the contents), and lack of thunderbolt on surface devices. Its really weird stuff.

Updating your bios should be done only when necessary. Hardware compatibility or critical hardware patches are necessary. A requirement for a stupid OS isn't. I don't foresee many people going to such lengths just to get 11 up and running so this seems like a Microsoft encouraged technical mitigation to stick to their stubborn, stupid decision.

Linux supports TPM, what other OS are you running, Unix or DOS lol. And if Linux doesn't work well with TPM how is that MS fault. That's like blaming MS for video cards not working on Linux.

Last edited:
Good to know! I had to enable it in the BIOS, and now the check passes.

My MB: Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite AX V2; BIOS version: F13

BTW, the other way to check if your BIOS has TPM enabled, is to run TPM.msc, which should give you this:

tpm.png

Also, worth noting, none of it is sudden, in contrast to much indignation here. Microsoft has been enforcing TPM since 2016 - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/oem-tpm

Last edited:
Updating your bios should be done only when necessary. Hardware compatibility or critical hardware patches are necessary. A requirement for a stupid OS isn't. I don't foresee many people going to such lengths just to get 11 up and running so this seems like a Microsoft encouraged technical mitigation to stick to their stubborn, stupid decision.
You don't need it to run W11. It simply sets fTPM to enabled by default. Don't want it. Don't install it. Options suck, I know.

The conspiracy theorist in me says its a plot between ms and hardware vendors to revive the market.

I mean, present hardware is way more than enough for 90% of the people currently running w10 and besides the BS requirement of the tpm chip, they can also run w11.

Otherwise, when w10 stops getting support, millions of pc’s will be become obsolete in the corporate world and the migrations to w11 and new hardware would be gigantic.

I have 3 divisions that require very little hardware wise and those will get new hardware because of this stupid artificial requirement.

The conspiracy theorist in me says its a plot between ms and hardware vendors to revive the market.

I mean, present hardware is way more than enough for 90% of the people currently running w10 and besides the BS requirement of the tpm chip, they can also run w11.

Otherwise, when w10 stops getting support, millions of pc’s will be become obsolete in the corporate world and the migrations to w11 and new hardware would be gigantic.

I have 3 divisions that require very little hardware wise and those will get new hardware because of this stupid artificial requirement.
if all your systems don't have TPM 2.0 in your organization then your already behind, its been mandated in mine since 2018.

if all your systems don't have TPM 2.0 in your organization then your already behind, its been mandated in mine since 2018.
Mine doesnt require it, so our needs are not the same as yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

you still have 4 years to upgrade so don't complain. in 4 years your current hardware would naturally require an upgrade.

My Z370 has TPM and is compatible with that nonsense. And that's an old chipset today. So who is getting upgrades and for what PoS motherboard?

If that were so. MS wouldn't find need in forcing that necessity.
I actually agree with MS doing this. they desperately need a new baseline for hardware if they want to keep up with Apple's crazy software optimisations that they are doing.

for example, they could finally implement AVX 2 properly since all hardware will support it. or remove some of the legacy hardware bloat.

Good to know! I had to enable it in the BIOS, and now the check passes.

My MB: Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite AX V2; BIOS version: F13

BTW, the other way to check if your BIOS has TPM enabled, is to run TPM.msc, which should give you this:

tpm.png

Also, worth noting, none of it is sudden, in contrast to much indignation here. Microsoft has been enforcing TPM since 2016 - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/oem-tpm
It may have something to do with how cybercrime got much worse recently. Also, they have been enforcing it since 2016 - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/oem-tpm

Well done - read first. And to the second peep, what a useless copy and paste steal. To both - It clearly states OEM. We are discussing TPM requirement by all users, not just business.

for example, they could finally implement AVX 2 properly since all hardware will support it. or remove some of the legacy hardware bloat.

That makes sense. Some devs want it too, so they can make just one version of a module, not 100 different versions for 100 different PC configurations.

But there's probably another reason. Sales synergy with the OEMs. Once they start huge propaganda campaign for Win 11, everyone will want that OS. And that will generate lots of sales of new computers.

So, hardware manufacturers will help promoting Win 11, because this cross-pollination helps them sell more HW, which in turn spreads Win 11 making it more dominant, which generates even more sales. That's a real runaway effect, and not CO2.

Me, too. Conspiracy. Or call it a cartel.

Sales synergy with the OEMs. Once they start huge propaganda campaign for Win 11, everyone will want that OS. And that will generate lots of sales of new computers.

So, hardware manufacturers will help promoting Win 11, because this cross-pollination helps them sell more HW, which in turn spreads Win 11 making it more dominant, which generates even more sales.
In more eloquent words, exactly what I implied.

Microsoft's proprietary solutions indeed doesn't serve much beyond a certain threshold.

What these updates does is break GRUB etc. so other OS users end up in a bit* of discomfort zone.

*Not that it isn't easy to fix, but still why?

Last edited:
In more eloquent words, exactly what I implied.

Exactly so. I don't know why people call "conspiracy" something that is a perfectly valid business model that works like a charm. Only because something is not moral, they think big corporations wouldn't do it.

I mean.... nobody would invent a computer virus only to sell anti-virus for it, right? :)

Back