Motherboard platform

I'm building a arcade machine at the moment and I was wondering what are the rules for installing a motherboard? I used some old gear at first to test and wasn't very succesful since it just died on me (I hope it's only the power supply though) I installed it on a frame I screwed to wood at first. But I don't think the frame was suitable for it because sometimes the power just went out while playing, I think the pins got in touch with the frame somehow.

Now I'm thinking about installing them on tubes to create a form of platform on the wood and use screws to drill through the tubes in the wood. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

cliffordcooley

Might be best to use a removable trey. You can mount the removable trey with the motherboard already attached. Whether you cut the trey out of a case or decided to construct a homemade trey is up to you. Working with a trey though would be much easier than trying to mount the motherboard in the box, without predefined screw locations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I added a picture to show you what I'm talking about. Is this safe to use for your motherboard?

Attachments

cliffordcooley

Yeah those plastic spacers are safe, as long as they are all the same length. I'm not so sure about the screws though. Those counter-sink screw could bust the PCB. Probably best to use screws with a flat surface.