Motherboard Replacment and the new one got slower..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noob question but looking for guidance.... I'm working with an older PC and i'm short on cash like most people and can't do any real upgrades so bare with me on this.

The original system was a store bought HP Pavilion a1230n with some minor upgrades.

- Original HP Mother Board with an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor
- Added Geforce 7950 GT graphics card
- 3G of Ram (Original 1G + 2G's of G.Skill DDR 400 MHz (PC3200) (Running at 300 some MHz))
- Originally Windows XP but now running Windows 7 with no issues.

I then obtained a new PC and wanted to swap all my stuff into it.

New PC:

- Abit Motherboard KN8 SLI (NF-CK804) with the same AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor (I did not swap the processor's, it already had one in it.)
- Larger BFG Power Supply
- Larger and Nicer Tower
- Added in my Geforce 7950 GT card
- Added in my Ram (All four ram chips only run at 200 MHz)
- Added in my Disk Drives and Hard Drives
- Still running Windows 7

The Issue:

The new PC seems much more sluggish and over worked. Its running the default 2.2 MHz and all the chipset and motherboard settings are default. But it seems like the processor is struggling. When i start the PC is takes allot longer for everything to load up and i watch the CPU % bar and it'll jump to 100% very quickly and stay there for long periods of time. I didn't have any of these issues with my HP Motherboard. I've watched the task mangier and there's nothing new running... its clearly an issue with something related to the new mother board or processor. My ram seems to only be running at 200 MHz now but I've been watching my Ram % and it never goes over 50% so that's not the issue. I've installed all my drivers to include the latest graphics card drivers and such. Opinions?

I would like to use this new board because i'd like to later play around with over clocking it and it also gives me the opportunity to run my Geforce 7950 GT's in SLI. (Both PC's had Geforce 7950 GT cards in them but i haven't put the second one in yet).

Could my issue be related to the Bio's Settings? Could something be wrong with the Proccessor or Motherboard?

Ideas, Suggestions and Opinions are welcomed...

No... i just plugged the HDD up and ran with it.

Windows 7 found a bunch of new stuff and auto installed everything else. Well... everything except the audio drivers... i tryed to install them manualy also but all the drivers are Vista and older and will not work with Windows 7. Was planning to installing a sound card to fix the issue if i couldn't figure out anything else.

So no new windows install and other then the graphics driver i haven't installed anything software or driver related. Windows 7 did its auto install new hardware thing and that was it.

Is there something i needed to install?

Q: Its the same processor with an upgraded motherboard from the same era... i just don't understand why it would be slower. There should be ether no difference in the two or it should be faster. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back