Motherboards for i7 4770k?

Depends on your budget, but if you want favs, heres the ones I personally like and are rich with features.

MSI Gaming Z87

Asus Z87 Deluxe

Those are a few of my favs that are reasonable. There are some I love at the 400 dollar mark, but those are a bit up there in price.

Okay, thanks for you input! though I am also thinking about getting a 3770k cpu after watching this video (
). you have any suggestions for mobo for that cpu?

Ill be honest, I have seen that video too and I do agree on some things about the Haswell to Ivy-Bridge debate, one being you can overclock better slightly on Ivy-bridge on average and that the differences is ~5%. If you wanna go that directions, I can throw a few suggestions your way that would help you in that respect as well (although I don't like this guys vids as much, try linus tech tips, he seems to make things up that are just impossible at least from what everyone else says).

Heres a couple ones as well

MSI Z77 Gaming (My friend has this exact same board, this is a super sexy board, he loves it to death)

Asus Z77 LGA 1155 Formula I love these Asus boards as well, they are just so loaded up with features.

If you want more I can oblige!

Thank you! Well let me ask your thoughts on this. I'm trying to figure out parts for a powerful gaming AND video editing pc. My budget is around 1500. For gaming I really want to be able to play games on highest settings and for video editing I basically make AMV's (animated music videos) for youtube and other things and I use ripped bluray footage for my editing. Do you think either cpu would be okay for my needs? or is the 4770k gonna make a difference as far as my video editing needs go? Also do you think the 4770k would be more future proof than the 3770k?

As far as "future Proofing" goes, the chips will both be pretty good at keeping up in gaming an rendering for quite some time. At the same clock speeds, the 4770k will out perform the 3770k in pretty much all areas because it is an improvement. The problem that revolves around the Haswell Chip is that the chip runs a bit hotter than its predecessor which causes the overclockability to come into question (on average, it seems from reading that there can be as much as a 300mhz difference in overclocking max on the chips). I would suggest an LGA 2011, but you would have to make sacrifices to get the 6 core version at a 500 dollar price point plus an expensive motherboard.

My advice for you, would be to get the 4770k and that MSI gaming board at your budget. Why:
A its a very nice board that comes well equipped to handle SLI/CFX with two cards, and is a high end board at a reasonable price.
B: The Haswell chip will be lower power consumption overall, and you can still get overall better performance roughly in all tasks even if its overclocking is a little more limited than its other generation chips.
C: You will last longer for future proofing your system

That's my opinion and advice on the matter, but both chips will perform admirably and be great gaming/video editing machines. But the Haswell will be your best bet overall especially because you have the budget to afford it. Just make sure to either grab a high end air cooling system for it or a closed loop water cooling system to help keep the chip cool especially for overclocking!

Check out CPU Mark and see a good comparison.
Link Here

For $1500, you should go Ivy Bridge. Haswell is not a budget friendly platform and I would not recommend it for medium budget builds. I would check out these great builds if you need help:

Oh I agree with you jc713 on the matter, but 1500 to me has plenty of room for a haswell 4770k and enough for a massive video card and great components. Also to note, there's a shell shocker sale today for 2 8gb sticks, a nice gigabyte motherboard with 3 pcie slots (2 are pcie e 3.0) and the i7 4770k and you save over 100 bucks not including rebates, that's a good buy in my book!

But I think he could squeeze that chip into the budget personally.

Link to the special link
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-1391660-_-07232013_1

Haswell is great since it s the newest and offers great power savings. But I think he is better off saving with Ivy Bridge and putting the savings toward a bigger SSD or better GPU.

Hey guys. could you maybe look at some bits and pieces from another forum chat I had with someone regarding the 2011 motherboard and sandy bridge cpu. He wrote a lot but gave a lot of good information it seemed. heres the link:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/general-tech-discussion/291355-want-build-gaming-video-editing-pc.html.
Again I'm not asking to read it all, theres a lot but still might be interesting for you, but maybe see some of the major points he makes and if they make sense to you.

Hey guys. could you maybe look at some bits and pieces from another forum chat I had with someone regarding the 2011 motherboard and sandy bridge cpu. He wrote a lot but gave a lot of good information it seemed. heres the link:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/general-tech-discussion/291355-want-build-gaming-video-editing-pc.html.
Again I'm not asking to read it all, theres a lot but still might be interesting for you, but maybe see some of the major points he makes and if they make sense to you.

For your needs, the 4770K is just better. I find myself recommending SB-E less and less. It just is not enticing with the other offerings around. The X79 platform is expensive and is just plain old.

I wouldn't bother with SB-E either, it's 2 generations old now. Ivy Bridge-E could be interesting though, especially if Intel sort that IHS issue which is causing the high temps on IB and Haswell. Also IB-E is just around the corner.

Yea, its age is starting to show, but im still hoping the refresh with Ivy Bridge-E will show us something special. Though preliminary benches from samples and the fact now I have not seen a 5-600 dollar 4930k out there really pisses me off because it seems like they may just do the 1000 dollar chip and the 350 dollar 4 core which will really disappoint me because I will not buy that platform if they aren't going to offer a sortta reasonably priced 6 core chip.

Here I put this together using newegg and bundling a few components to get a discount of two (You can find tons of bundles on Haswell with a motherboard right now)

Here, this is just an example parts list

NZXT Phantom (My Favorite color, theres tons of em in different colors I just really like this case series)
Seagate Barracuda 1 tb 7200RPM Storage drive
Rosewill Lightening 1000Watt 80Plus Gold (I have the 1300 variant, its amazing)
Gskill Trident 2400 2x4gb (8gb total)
Corsair H100i Liquid cooler
Samsung 840 250gb SSD
XFX HD 7970 Double D edition
i7 4770k & Msi Gaming LGA 1150 (I bundled these two together to save an extra 30 bucks)

Now this total build comes to $1528.91 and will pretty much play every game on ultra and give you future proofing for quite some time especially in the CPU area. This build actually gets cheaper because a lot of the components listed I did not add in that they say 10% off or other coupon deals with them right now! Now I just built this to show you what you can do with a 1500 dollar budget and what components are easily accessible to you. You can of course swap in the same board except LGA 1155 and grab an Ivy Bridge 3770k and save ~100 bucks and grab maybe add more other components if you need more of something/want more.

See what this does for ya.

Yea, its age is starting to show, but im still hoping the refresh with Ivy Bridge-E will show us something special. Though preliminary benches from samples and the fact now I have not seen a 5-600 dollar 4930k out there really pisses me off because it seems like they may just do the 1000 dollar chip and the 350 dollar 4 core which will really disappoint me because I will not buy that platform if they aren't going to offer a sortta reasonably priced 6 core chip.

The 3770K beat out the 3960X in some benchmarks.

Here I put this together using newegg and bundling a few components to get a discount of two (You can find tons of bundles on Haswell with a motherboard right now)

Here, this is just an example parts list

NZXT Phantom (My Favorite color, theres tons of em in different colors I just really like this case series)
Seagate Barracuda 1 tb 7200RPM Storage drive
Rosewill Lightening 1000Watt 80Plus Gold (I have the 1300 variant, its amazing)
Gskill Trident 2400 2x4gb (8gb total)
Corsair H100i Liquid cooler
Samsung 840 250gb SSD
XFX HD 7970 Double D edition
i7 4770k & Msi Gaming LGA 1150 (I bundled these two together to save an extra 30 bucks)

I'd change a few parts in that build:

- Get 16GB of RAM at least. If you go for 2x4GB you'll most likely have to switch those out if you want to upgrade in the future. This Corsair set is the same price.
- Go for the Samsung 840 Pro series. Similar name but totally different NAND flash memory and performance.
- The XFX cooler on the 7970 isn't the best, there's better choices from Asus, Sapphire and Gigabyte.
- OP will probably need at least a 2TB hard drive given the PC is going to be used for video editing, better price per GB than a 1TB one.

- Get 16GB of RAM at least. If you go for 2x4GB you'll most likely have to switch those out if you want to upgrade in the future. This Corsair set is the same price.
- Go for the Samsung 840 Pro series. Similar name but totally different NAND flash memory and performance.
- The XFX cooler on the 7970 isn't the best, there's better choices from Asus, Sapphire and Gigabyte.
- OP will probably need at least a 2TB hard drive given the PC is going to be used for video editing, better price per GB than a 1TB one.

Yeah, 2400MHz speed is not necessary at all, go with the RAM slh recommended. XMS3 is not the best, but it is very good for overclocking. The 840 Pro is a necessity in a high end build (vs the regular 840). Finally, I would go with the XFX because of the lifetime warranty.

Thanks for the build ghostRyder! I'll look into it.
No problem
The 3770K beat out the 3960X in some benchmarks.
Yeah but that due to the generation differences on the chip and the face of the clocks on both. BTW I did finally see that there is a 4930k coming at the same time, theres just no samples available yet. But it is still in the plans so my hopes aren't crushed yet. Im also hoping even though they are keeping the 2011 socket, they are supposedly putting an x99 chipset with PCIE-3.0 and some other key features to improve upon the dated features.

As for your suggestions
The ram I sortta disagree with, that ram you posted is 1333 compared to the 2400 I posted, that speed would be noticed. If he wants 16gb, drop the speed a bit and try to get 16gb at like 1866 with good timings.
I have the Samsung 840 Pro 512gb, the pro series is nice, but honestly the main differences between them is the write speeds, its not the big a deal to most people in the gaming world and I doubt hes going to write to it to often so its kinda a choice if you really need it, and at 250 gb, I probably would have to think on it personally.
Dissagree, the XFX Cooler is great and its the only company with a lifetime warranty (I think visiontek may actually now that I think about it). The Asus ones are nice, but they cost a lot more and this one will handle things like games and overclocking quite nicely.
Yeah for Video editing, your right, but I normally just grab a 1tb as a force of habit, but he will need some room.

More RAM is always better than faster RAM especially if they're the same price. Speed and timings don't make much of a difference on current Intel builds and the Corsair set seemed to be quite a bit cheaper than 1600/1866Mhz ones.

The non-pro 840's problem isn't just the speed, because it uses TLC nand its endurance is also worse which might be an issue if the OP is doing a lot of video editing. If the 840 Pro is too expensive then there's better choices out there such as the Crucial M500.

But with a video editing solution, unless hes getting a couple 512gb ssds, I don't think he will be rendering to that drive as at 250gb, you would be out of room in a matter of days and forced to constantly delete files which is harmful to an ssd. He will probably want to write more to the large drive because it will do just fine there.

As for ram, timings as long as they are below 10 on the first part, seem to be ok, but when the timings go to high, ive noticed differences on both platforms (AMD and Intel). As for speeds, the jump alone from 1333 to 1600 is quite a difference but the jump to 1866 is not near as big which most people would not notice except in very intensive ram activities. I would think 1600 or 1866 would be the two to shoot for in this range because 1333 would not make much since in a 1500 dollar build when 1600 is so cheap.

More RAM is always better than faster RAM especially if they're the same price. Speed and timings don't make much of a difference on current Intel builds and the Corsair set seemed to be quite a bit cheaper than 1600/1866Mhz ones.

The non-pro 840's problem isn't just the speed, because it uses TLC nand its endurance is also worse which might be an issue if the OP is doing a lot of video editing. If the 840 Pro is too expensive then there's better choices out there such as the Crucial M500.

Endurance is a must with video editing. That is correct. As for the RAM, my friend was able to overclock his set of XMS3 to very high clocks.

Thanks for the responses. Let me ask u guys are the CPU and motherboard really the only thing u have to worry about as far as compatibility is concerned? I know different processors and stuff will require more power and stuff like that but essentially could just swap out a motherboard and CPU combo with another and still keep most other components (like gpu, ram, cooler etc.)?

RAM does not change that often. As for the CPU cooler, it must support that socket. If it does not, some manufacturers sell adapters. GPUs will still be compatible, but they may be dated.

You could swap out just the CPU and motherboard but with the current pace of CPU development an i7 4770k should last you several years.

The GPU is usually the most upgraded component in a gaming build.

Back