Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

I posted a thread before about help on buying a new PC. I got a lot of feedback that helped a lot, but i am still deciding on what motherboard to get. I know i want it to be the latest Intel 775 socket, but i am not sure about the actual board.

I have been looking at the Gigabyte GA-8AENXP-D and the Asus P5AD2-E Premium 925XE.

What do you think is better out of these two boards?

Is there another board better on the market around the price line of these two boards?

The computer is for software packages and games, so the functions that benefit my purpose i want on the board. I do not want a board that has a lot to it, but i am not going to use the features i am paying extra money for.

Also can some explain to me what Raid?

thanks a lot

Matt

mobo

Raid is redundant array of independant(or inexpensive) disks. It's where you use 2 or more drives like 1 physical drive, to increase storage, mirror data, or speed up disk access.

What features do you need? Those are expensive high end boards. Do you need firewire? dual gigabit ethernet? sata? raid? 4/6dimm slots? atx/or matx? 1066 fsb?

This board is much cheaper, but has many of the same features.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-461&depa=0

This is good too.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-180&depa=0

I will not be buying a new PC for a while after this, so i need the most up to date board that will last me a while. The processor i am looking at is only 800fsb, but in the future i would like to buy one that can support up to 1000fsb.

I am not sure about if i really need Raid. I am however going to be having two hard drives set up. I am going to buy a Sata hard drive. I need firewire as i am doing a Film and Video BA, which means heavey editing.

I want to be able to get the most out of the Ram as i can. The more Ram it can take all the better.

To put it blunt i want to fork out a lot for a board to have potential for future upgrade.

Out of the two boards i have stated, which one is better?

cheers

Matt

board

Ok, I see what your saying. I would reccommend the gigabyte. It has 6 memory dimms, a dual bios, firewire B, etc. But they both are top notch.

ok

Is there anyway you could maybe be a bit more specific to why the Gigabite?

The only reason why i ask is i have had mixed opinions from another forum i posted this on and if there is anyway you could go into a little more depth that would be helpful. If not then thanks for your choice.

Also do you think these are two of the best boards out at this moment?

Matt Harris said:
Hello all

I posted a thread before about help on buying a new PC. I got a lot of feedback that helped a lot, but i am still deciding on what motherboard to get. I know i want it to be the latest Intel 775 socket, but i am not sure about the actual board.

I have been looking at the Gigabyte GA-8AENXP-D and the Asus P5AD2-E Premium 925XE.

What do you think is better out of these two boards?

Is there another board better on the market around the price line of these two boards?

The computer is for software packages and games, so the functions that benefit my purpose i want on the board. I do not want a board that has a lot to it, but i am not going to use the features i am paying extra money for.

Also can some explain to me what Raid?

thanks a lot

Matt

Would you even consider AMD configs? The reason for that is Intel PCI-e chipset data throughput is buggy and inferior to Nvidia implementations for AMD. It isn't an accident that Nvidia is finally allowed to do their own P4 implementations.

According to this -->"I am not sure about if i really need Raid. I am however going to be having two hard drives set up. I am going to buy a Sata hard drive. I need firewire as i am doing a Film and Video BA, which means heavey editing." You'll need that for quality and reliability.

I suggest the latest from ASSUS, you can read it here. ASSUS had Ti hardware for firewire implementation which is better than VIA any day.

Matt Harris said:
I definetly do not want to go for AMD as i need a computer for multi-tasking and it is evident that the Intel is better.
Encoding Video in 10 hours at a slight higher performance isn't multi-tasking, interactively manipulating multiple Video windows in editing with your mouse having simultaneous synchronized sound streams would be real-time multi-tasking. You'll will need real bandwidth thoughput and low latency for that.

Your hardware requirement is the same as that of a high performance game system.

AMD Opterons series have aggregate I/O and CPU memory bandwidth. They don't have to "share" bandwidth, they are built for "simultaneous multiple data streams from multiple data sources to multiple destinations" just as Intel immitation of HyperTransport was supposed to do but poorly so.

915/925 are equivalent glorified Intel versions of nforce2 chipsets with additional PCI-e slots.

If i want the real deal i know i need a workstation motherboard and graphics card etc for the software programms i want, but it is to pricey for me, so i see Intel as being the next best option for running programs such as maya and still running games well rather than getting an Atlon that is just gd for gaming mainly.

Do you agree that Intel is the better choice for both software packages and games or do you think Atlon is better, becasue if you do that goes against all the feedback i have gotten over the last month.

cheers for the help by the way.

wow im actually looking to get that same board, ive always loved ASUS but i stilll dont know wether or not to get amd or intel, just like him

Matt Harris said:
If i want the real deal i know i need a workstation motherboard and graphics card etc for the software programms i want, but it is to pricey for me, so i see Intel as being the next best option for running programs such as maya and still running games well rather than getting an Atlon that is just gd for gaming mainly.
When I said "Opterons" I meant any current typical AMD64 series.
Matt Harris said:
Do you agree that Intel is the better choice for both software packages and games or do you think Atlon is better....
It doesn't matter at all what software you used. Especially not when the PCI-e data streams throughput drops down to half of what Nvidia NV4's PCI-e implementation data throughput.

Software miracles can't rescue you from the bandwidth which isn't there. Current software will be fine as they don't demand anymore than older hardware generation could do.
Matt Harris said:
...becasue if you do that goes against all the feedback i have gotten over the last month.

cheers for the help by the way.
How many of them whom you got feedbacks from have done real-time graphic hardware as their sole profession and nothing else for more than 2 decades?

Ever talk to dumb****s pretended to be graphic hardware experts with not a clue to even how a monitor actually worked?

intel or amd

So you think amd is better at multitasking than intel? I've always heard that since intel had ht tech. that makes the processor work like 2 processors, being able to do multiple things at once. Amd doesn't have hyperthreading, so it can't process multiple things at once right? Don't get me wrong, I am definitely all out for amd, my system is an amd athlon 64 939. If amd is better, then yahoo, my computer rocks even more than I thought! Everyone always says Intel=business productivity/multitasking(running multiple apps) and decent gaming, and AMD=Best gaming, but in almost everything else, less than intel. If amd is better at multitasking, show some benches that support this, I want to see for myself. I chose Amd due to gaming performance, price, and intel prescotts are :hotbounce a little toasty.

vnf4ultra said:
So you think amd is better at multitasking than intel?
It had been so since the AMD K7s series with Nvidia chipsets. At the time of the real-time simultaneous multiple data streams benchmark mentioned HERE, AMD K7s on Nvidia nforce chipsets were the unknown and undisputed reigning champions of such benchmarks.

vnf4ultra said:
I've always heard that since intel had ht tech. that makes the processor work like 2 processors, being able to do multiple things at once.
No it doesn't work like 2 processors. It works like 2 broken partial processors, what internal hardware resources get used up by one "broken processor" would not be available to the other "broken processor". The broken partial processors are different parts of one whole processor.

vnf4ultra said:
Amd doesn't have hyperthreading, so it can't process multiple things at once right?
Ofcourse they do have it, it is built-in hardware general optimization transparent to users and programmers because it isn't broken. It is what made AMD processors performed more per cycle than Intel transparently.

HyperThreading is only good for processor designs having broken hardware general optimization, unable to use all internal hardware resources transparently, which required extra specific boost from programmers.

Unfortunately being non-general optimization, it required true acrobatic skills from programmers. For AMD to have their version of HyperThreading available to programmers and users, they would first need to have their very own processor designs with broken hardware general optimization as a starting point.

From there they can break it into 2 broken fractional processors and expose the features to programmers... To match Intel HyperThreading features perfectly for compatibility, AMD would need it to be broken as exactly as the way Intel hardware was broken. Then design all their new processors with the "feature" to be broken the same way.

vnf4ultra said:
Don't get me wrong, I am definitely all out for amd, my system is an amd athlon 64 939. If amd is better, then yahoo, my computer rocks even more than I thought! Everyone always says Intel=business productivity/multitasking(running multiple apps) and decent gaming, and AMD=Best gaming, but in almost everything else, less than intel. If amd is better at multitasking, show some benches that support this, I want to see for myself. I chose Amd due to gaming performance, price, and intel prescotts are a little toasty.
Most all interactive games fall under real-time multi-tasking just by themselves without need for any other apps. Though I could always do "Kinda HyperThreading" together of Outlook, Excel, WinWord, and Winamp... Together to simulate usages of networking, sound, video, etc... simultaneously as most any games normally would do.

If you get an AMD64 socket939 motherboard now, such as one of the MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum series (comes in many flavours, 1000FSB, with or without SLI), you could buy e.g. the cheap AMD64-3000 now and get a faster AMD64-Egypt Dual-Core processor later on this year. Or opt now for an FX-55.
You'd be good for quite a few years.

Nein you seem to know what you are talking about, especially if you have been in the business for a long time.

I find it a very hard decision to make other the two companies and yes it is hard to determine sometimes who knows what they are talking about and who does not.

I just want a simple answer what is my best option for getting a motherboard that will run games and demanding software programmes such as Avid HD and Maya?

Is it Intel or AMD?

Also about the AMD64-Egypt Dual-Core when they come out will they be the best processors?

cpu

"On the gaming front, Doom 3 is the only test we saw with any performance improvement. And the only other application to show a significant performance gain is Maya with more than a 43% gain. The huge gain in performance under Maya is likely a result of 1MB of cache being too small to fit models in while 2MB is enough."

Quote about the new 6xx cpus and maya. 43% gain is significant.(vs 5xx)
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353&p=2

Amd is capable of using dual core on existing boards, while intel dual core will require a new chipset, so any intel board you buy now will not support dual core.

It will be a little while 'till intel/amd dual core though.

I have came to the conclusion now that aslong as i get a new pentium 4 processor that will be better than the AMD's for what i want to do.

The AMD's we all know are good for games at there older processors did out perform the Intel's, but that is not the case on the new Intel Processors for programs such as Maya.

Matt Harris said:
I have came to the conclusion now that aslong as i get a new pentium 4 processor that will be better than the AMD's for what i want to do.

The AMD's we all know are good for games at there older processors did out perform the Intel's, but that is not the case on the new Intel Processors for programs such as Maya.
Ha ha... No, the new Intel processor isn't better than AMD latest processors at Maya desite those numbers in the Anandtech link above. Do you really need an explanation for that?

mobo

"So far the situation in the market looks as follows. Intel’s new CPU copes better than its AMD rival with streaming data processing and multimedia files encoding. Also, it appears quite efficient for multi-threading tasks, such as 3ds max or Photoshop. The newcomer from AMD, however, proved really fast in scientific tasks and office. If we make some additional allowances, we will be able to state its leadership over the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition even in contemporary 3D games."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/print/athlon64-fx51.html

This is somewhat dated, but I think it's valid.

It says intel is better for multi threading, not amd.

Prove that amd is better at multithreading with some charts nein.

I seem to only find evidence that intel is better at multi threading.

what cpu

I still think you should get an intel cpu. According to the avid hd specs, it is recommended to use xeon, pentium4, or pentium m, no amd products even listed. It says you should have 1.5gb of ram, an open gl workstation graphics card, like this http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-133-117&depa=1
It also says that firewire should use the ti chipset.

The gigabyte board you listed says it has the ti chipset, as well as the asus. I would go with the gigabyte because of the 6 memory slots, because if you need lots of ram like avid hd requires, then you want lots of dimm slots. The asus is really good too, it comes down to whichever you like most/has the features you need.

Cheers for all your help seems to be getting a little bit heated in here lol, but that is good. The only way we get the truth out of people.

Nein i got my borther to check out what you were saying as he knows more than me and he agreed with you on most things. He was giving me some benchmark tests of the AMD CPU and they did perform better in maya, but then he found me another forum about the latest Intel CPU's and they seem to be better for what i want to do in his opinion and many others like vnf4ultra.

I have to be honest i also find what you say hard to understand in places. I consider myself to have reasonable knowleadge of computers, but a lot of what you say means **** to me.

What profession are you in again?

Still all of you have been a good help. It is hard to decide over the Asus or the Gigabyte as i have had different opinions on both.

Here is a little esier to understand review of both chips IF it was me I would probbly go with the AMD. Becuse I am a gammer ! Read the hole review here Intel does some stuff better than AMD and AMD does stuff better than Intel but there is realy not that much difference in any of them really no landslide the choice should be what will it do for the money I like to spend.. OR the big question is do I wait untill dual core comes out?? Intresting point

As far as a motherboard I would go with Asus

Here is the link

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2353

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back