Motorola Xoom priced: $800 on Verizon, $600 for WiFi-only

Emil

Official pricing for the Motorola Xoom tablet, which debuted at CES 2011 last month, has been released. The unsubsidized price for the tablet will be $800 on Verizon Wireless, and a Wi-Fi only version will be approximately $600, according to Reuters.

Previous rumors said the Xoom could retail for $1,200. Thankfully, the other rumors were closer to the money, so to speak. The release date is still unknown, but many believe it will arrive before the end of the month, possibly on February 17 or on February 24. The Xoom will arrive in Europe during Q2 2011.

Last month, the Motorola Xoom won the Best in Show Award at CES 2011. For Q1 2011, Motorola has reportedly placed orders for about 700,000 to 800,000 units of the device with four color options.

The Motorola Xoom will ship with Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb) running on Nvidia's Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, 32GB of onboard storage (expandable via SD), a 2-megapixel camera on the front, a 5-megapixel camera with dual LED flash on the back, a micro USB 2.0 port, HDMI out, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, as well as Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. The 10.1-inch tablet has a 1280x800 display resolution. Battery life is said to peak at about 10 hours of video playback. The device will launch in Q1 2011 with 3G functionality, later upgradeable to LTE 4G, and will launch with a LTE 4G model in Q2.

Permalink to story.

Looks sweet except for that price needs to come down about 50%. So it says wifi only version is $600.....so it looks like you need a data plan at least 1 month rumours weren't true? Anyone know
?

Huh? $600 for much, much better spec than an equivalently priced iPad sounds pretty good to me.

Guest said:
Huh? $600 for much, much better spec than an equivalently priced iPad sounds pretty good to me.

Except having to tether to your phone 24/7 is a pain. And it'll drain your phone in an instant.

Can you just run wifi only version off your home router without a phone? Do you have to get some type of verizon service with the wifi only version?

Guest said:
Can you just run wifi only version off your home router without a phone? Do you have to get some type of verizon service with the wifi only version?

Just like for iphone, when you are at home (if you have wireless) it piggybacks off of there instead of eating away at your data plan. So I imagine if there is a wifi-only version, it will work completely independently of the service provider.

These tablets seems awfully expensive. Then again, look at the price of smart phones without contracts. Still a laptop of the same price will give you an OS that is capable of much more plus a few other things, but you'll lose out on portability and the cool factor. :) Honestly, when it comes to tablets, hate on me as you will, the iPad seems like a better option only because of the App stores wider selection of applications.

Darn it is so over priced!!! no mercy for the poor .... greedy buggers!!!

Guest said:

Yah you could. But there's no point in having a tablet without UMTS.

If the 600 dollars is with no contract then well I can do that. But what is the capacity of storage? Must be at least 32 for me to pay 600 bucks. I can care less about 3G for Tablet, I can get one of those wifi hotspo thingies.

Jibberish18 said:
the iPad seems like a better option only because of the App stores wider selection of applications.
I hear this argument all the time and to be honest all the good apps are on both Android and iOS. I see where you are coming from but i'm not sure i can agree that, since the iPad has more apps that it makes it a better tablet. Now in terms of games thats a different story, its no contest, App Store is the clear winner there.

Good specs.... $600 isn't too terrible for wifi only but I can understand the lack of interest due to Apple having a much bigger app store. This is why I want to go for a Windows 7 tablet.If they could make this with Win7 for say $650, they might have a winner for me. Don't know about everyone else though.

I hear this argument all the time and to be honest all the good apps are on both Android and iOS. I see where you are coming from but i'm not sure i can agree that, since the iPad has more apps that it makes it a better tablet. Now in terms of games thats a different story, its no contest, App Store is the clear winner there.

I've gone through the app store. And only 1/5 apps I saw(that's a generous ****ing number) could be considered useful to the kind of person who bought a tablet for other reasons then it "being cool" Is the app store's target demographic pre pubescent children to high school students?

Your right 1/5 is very generous
"Is the app store's target demographic pre pubescent children to high school students?"
I think the remaining 4/5 is

Way to pricey they seem to have an ambitious approach here they did forget what else people can buy at the same price.

Back