Motorola's Turbo Charger claims 8 hour battery life from a 15 minute charge

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Motorola has quietly unveiled a new charging accessory that promises to deliver eight hours of battery life from a 15 minute charge. The Motorola Turbo Charger uses Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 2.0 technology to pull off the feat but you’ll need to meet a very specific set of criteria to realize its full potential.

As Neowin points out, the devil is in the details. For one, the battery must be substantially depleted in order to get the quickest possible charge from the Turbo Charger due to the fact that charging rates slow as charging progresses.

Furthermore, Motorola’s fine print says battery life claims are based on both usage and standby time. On top of that, Motorola goes on to note that actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings and voice, data and other application usage patterns.

So in other words, you won’t be getting anywhere near eight hours of usage time from a quick 15 minute recharge.

That said, Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 2.0 is certainly a step forward for battery technology. With phones that support it (the new Moto X being one of them), you’ll certainly see speedier recharge times if you're the type to run your battery down pretty low. Just don’t expect the sort of jaw-dropping claims that Motorola’s marketing team is pushing on a consistent basis.

Permalink to story.

I gotta admit, this is pretty cool. I wonder if this tech has long-term effects on the battery that aren't known just yet.

I gotta admit, this is pretty cool. I wonder if this tech has long-term effects on the battery that aren't known just yet.

That is the question I want to know.

I've recently started to use a 1.8amp charger for my Blackberry Z30 vs the Stock 850mah one.

I can charge the 2880mAH battery in just over an hour and a half. The stock chargers takes about 3 hours.

So I really want to know how that will affect the longevity of my battery. I already spoke with one of my contacts at BB and it shouldn't make a difference.

I've recently started to use a 1.8amp charger for my Blackberry Z30 vs the Stock 850mah one.

I can charge the 2880mAH battery in just over an hour and a half. The stock chargers takes about 3 hours.

So I really want to know how that will affect the longevity of my battery. I already spoke with one of my contacts at BB and it shouldn't make a difference.
Yeah definitely. I really wish battery longevity was taken into account more.

Or you could just do like I did, IF you don't mind a BIG phone, and get a Mate2 by Huawei. Even with heavy use of phone, data, I get 2-3 days on ONE charge! No extra do-dads, no battery savers, no cutting CPU cycles, just run it full throttle and it runs forever. And the best part is it isn't tied to a contract, and only $299. What's not to love? Oh, it doesn't have this OS update or that pixel density screen bla bla bla.
I use to think like that too, until I bought one!

To be honest, the 15-minute charger seems a little un-needed to me. Now a days I can get a full day or day and a half of battery life off my droid, on one charge. Usually I just run it down to around 30% by the end of the day and just leave it to charge overnight. There's only 2 reasons I would buy this is: 1) If they had a car charger version or 2) This charger technology becomes the norm. As of right now I'm good on battery life, and I can only imagine it'll be much better 1 or 2 years from now, when this technology starts getting picked up by other companies.

More than two years ago, I think it read it somewhere that Sony devices have similar charging capability. I can't seem to recall if it was a sony product catalogue summer or holiday issue (for the Philippine market). If I was not mistaken, Sony Walkman and other portable music/video player products possess rapid charge capability.

Probably it's meant to be used that way, if your phone is able to charge to 1A and you use a 2A charger, it will only go as high as your phone allows it, 1A.

So you could put in a 4A charger and it would still go at 1A.

I'm pretty sure they test the effects and side-effects of their methods and wouldn't sell it or wouldn't be able (Legally) to sell them without a disclaimer on damage to the device.

Probably it's meant to be used that way, if your phone is able to charge to 1A and you use a 2A charger, it will only go as high as your phone allows it, 1A.

I'm pretty sure they test the effects and side-effects of their methods and wouldn't sell it or wouldn't be able (Legally) to sell them without a disclaimer on damage to the device.
I think you're right. It's like if I have a circuit breaker at 5A and put a 10W light bulb in it, then move that light bulb to a 20A circuit. It can only draw as much power as it can use. The trick is to use a smart charger and not to over charge the battery. Batteries can be a bit greedy and try to fill up to breaking points.

I think you're right. It's like if I have a circuit breaker at 5A and put a 10W light bulb in it, then move that light bulb to a 20A circuit. It can only draw as much power as it can use. The trick is to use a smart charger and not to over charge the battery. Batteries can be a bit greedy and try to fill up to breaking points.

That is handled in-phone software and hardware. What the charger does is protect it voltage-wise, the rest is all up to the phone.

That is true. Good point.

Back