Mouse and keyboard not responding after restart

after my computer was not connecting to websites even though it was saying it was connected to the internet i decided to run a virus scan, it found nothing, and then restart my system. but after booting up my mouse and keyboard just suddenly stopped responding.

My mouse is a USB and my keyboard is a PS/2. whenever i unplugged the mouse and plugged it back in i would get a message saying that it was installing drivers for a new device but even with an internet connection it will fail every time. i can't unplug my keyboard because it has always required to be plugged in at start up in order to work.

after several restarts later i still got the same results. but what a did notice is right before windows boots up the red light from the laser on the bottom of the mouse will be on and then turn off once windows starts loading. the keyboards number lock will remain on the whole time and i cant turn it off. I then used 2 different USB mice and a USB keyboard that i could found around the house and get the same unresponsive results.

i have tried booting in safe mode while confirming that the keyboard works while in BIOS. once in safe mode i get the same results, no responding at all from either of them.

I am running on Windows 7, 3ghz AMD processor, with 2 gigs of RAM, and an almost full 250gb HDD.

please help, thanks.

Back