Mouse doesnt move left/right but moves up/down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizz

As stated in the title. Mouse buttons work etc but doesnt move left/right. I have taken out the ball and cleaned it etc. Does anyone have any help, this is driving me up the wall. Thanks in advance.

^Hmm..is that the only way?? I was thinking of buying a new mouse as a last resort. So there's no way that i can fix my current mouse??

Thanks for help.

Well, you have done the obvious things, to fix it, which are to clean it.
It could be a bent pin if it is a PS/2 mouse, or it could be dirt in the USB plug or socket if a USB mouse.
If it is a USB mouse, they fail much more frequently than the PS/2 mouse.
You can get a mouse for $10, or get a used one for $1.00

Likely you'll just have to buy a new mouse.

I find it difficult to believe that "USB mice fail much more frequently than PS/2".

If it is a USB mouse, they fail much more frequently than the PS/2 mouse.

Based on what criteria?

Manufacturer's don't say, "Oh hey, is this a USB mouse? Make sure you use lower quality material than what we use in our PS/2 mice!". That's silly. And if it is unique to USB mice, it would have to be related to the interface. Is the USB interface more prone to failure than the PS/2 interface? Well, after servicing thousand of computers over several years, I rarely see a bad mouse AT ALL, let alone a disproportionate amount of dead USB mice.

All in all, I think PS/2 vs USB is a moot point, in regards to reliability.

Check another mouse (borrow one) before you buy a new one. Although highly unlikely, it is possible that it's not the mouse.

I had mouse software that let you hold down a hot-key and the mouse was restricted to one axis - useful for drawing w/ your mouse, I guess. What if this feature was stuck? I know, highly unlikely, but worth checking with a different mouse none-the-less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back