MoviePass now has over one million paying subscribers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Controversial movie theater subscription service MoviePass on Wednesday announced it now has more than one million paying subscribers.

Since introducing its $9.95 per month price point in August, MoviePass has increased its subscriber base by more than 6,500 percent. The company reached the one million subscriber mark in just four months which is faster than other major subscription offerings like Netflix, Hulu and Spotify (Spotify did it in just five months).

MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe said they believe growth will continue as they further develop their application, improve customer service, enhance exhibitor relations and fill movie theater seats.

Ted Farnsworth, Chairman and CEO of HMNY (the company that owns MoviePass), said they know this is what it will take for people to enjoy the experience of movies again and they’re thrilled that movie-goers are embracing a new and exciting era for cinema.

MoviePass in November launched an even cheaper option. The company's annual subscription plan sold for $89.95 which worked out to $6.95 per month over 12 months (plus a $6.55 processing fee). That’s significantly cheaper than the standard $9.95 per month rate and even less than the average movie ticket price of $8.93. That offer, which required full payment up front, was only “valid until it’s not” and it appears that it is no longer available.

Permalink to story.

"..... and even less than the average movie ticket price of $8.93."

What movie theater's have you been going to? The cheapest matinee ticket I can find in my area is $12.50. Non-matinee is $16.50 and IMAX is $20.00.

It's been years - maybe 10 or more - since I've seen a movie ticket for less than ten bucks.

I live in the Los Angeles area and while there are a lot of theaters that charge fairly high prices, you can still find reasonably priced theaters. See if you can find theaters that have specials. For example there is one local theater that has family days on Tuesdays and Thursdays and admission is $6.00 all day. Senior days on Wednesday (55+) are $5.00 and no more than $6.00 any other day. The AMC rewards program called Stubs recently had a couple of months long promotion of $5.00 for Tuesdays (December 19th was the last day). You can purchase movie ticket vouchers for AMC, Regal and other chains for less than full price at places like Sam's Club or Costco. I usually don't go to matinees so I don't know all the prices but the one I do know is $8.00 and $6.00 before noon. There are other discounts you can find in this area but you get the point.

I'm not saying these discount days are necessarily convenient for everyone (that's why they are discounted in the first place) but if you can swing it, it's a good deal. Also, I'm not saying deals like this are available wherever you are either. If not, that's unfortunate but for some places movies are not that expensive.

Would be nice if it came to UK. Most of the time there is only 1 or 2 movies worth watching in a month.

What movie theater's have you been going to? The cheapest matinee ticket I can find in my area is $12.50. Non-matinee is $16.50 and IMAX is $20.00.

It's been years - maybe 10 or more - since I've seen a movie ticket for less than ten bucks.

For the few bigger cities over charging for movie tickets, there are thousands of small and mid-sized cities with affordable tickets. The only way you get beyond $10 near me is if you do 3D, XD or VIP. Without its about $8 or $9.

Last edited:

For the few bigger cities over charging for movie tickets, there are thousands of small and mid-sized cities with affordable tickets. The only way you get beyond $10 near me is if you do 3D, XD or VIP. Without its about $8 or $9.
I'm in Rochester, MN, town is about 110,000 people and I just saw star wars on a week night on the super screen (not imax) for $5 ticket. also got a bucket of popcorn and an xl diet pepsi for another $5. cant beat those prices!

They need to just develop a service that will stream movies that are in theaters to our home so we don't have to watch them on those garbage quality 90 inch screens (my local theatre sucks). I know direcTV used to have in theatre on demand that allowed u to stream in theatre movies to your home but it only offer a percentage of what was in theatres. no clue how thats working out today.

I'm in Rochester, MN, town is about 110,000 people and I just saw star wars on a week night on the super screen (not imax) for $5 ticket. also got a bucket of popcorn and an xl diet pepsi for another $5. cant beat those prices!

Yep, every theater where I'm at does $5 Tuesday's.

They need to just develop a service that will stream movies that are in theaters to our home so we don't have to watch them on those garbage quality 90 inch screens (my local theatre sucks). I know direcTV used to have in theatre on demand that allowed u to stream in theatre movies to your home but it only offer a percentage of what was in theatres. no clue how thats working out today.

Movie companies wouldn't make nearly s much money. You've now lost $8-$15 per head in favor of a subscription fee being shared out it being used by multiple people at a time.

Back