MoviePass purchased out of bankruptcy by co-founder

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: MoviePass, the ill-fated movie ticket subscription service that went bust after launching a membership program that proved unsustainable, is planning a comeback. With the right strategy and business model, could MoviePass succeed the second time around?

The startup was founded in 2011 but didn’t make waves until mid-2017 when it slashed its monthly subscription rate to $9.95 per month. The plan allowed members to watch one movie per day at any theater in the US that accepted debit cards, which was pretty much all of them. 3D and IMAX screenings were excluded, but other than that, it was fair game, with no blackout dates to speak of.

It was an exceptionally good deal – too good, in fact. The company’s business model simply wasn’t sustainable and despite efforts to restructure and stay afloat, MoviePass and its parent company ultimately filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Now nearly two years later, the outfit is staging a comeback.

Insider reports that co-founder Stacy Spikes was recently granted ownership of the company by a Southern District of New York bankruptcy court judge. Spikes told the publication he was thrilled to have the asset back and is exploring the possibility of relaunching soon. Notably, previous customer data and email addresses were not part of the sale.

Financial terms of the acquisition out of bankruptcy were not shared, although the new owner said his bid was lower than the $250,000 minimum set by a trustee overseeing the bankruptcy.

Spikes has set up a new website for MoviePass where interested parties can register their email address to be notified when the service launches, perhaps as early as next year.

Image credit Erik Witsoe, Pixabay

Permalink to story.

And it will certainly fail again! Things are much different today, theaters are barely surviving as it stands. Most people wait and stream movies from home. Not to mention the plethora of other entertainment options make theater movies a low priority for most consumers.

The last couple of movies I went to were met with rude, inconsiderate as$hats in other seats....throwing things at other patrons, talking loudly, taking phone calls, throwing trash all over the place and when you tell them to stop they try to get in your face about how you're disrespecting them and now they want to fight.....

I'd certainly like to go back to the theaters and enjoy movies on the big screen and impressive sound systems, but I'm not going to put myself in that position again to have to discipline a snot nosed piece of $hit because he thinks he's entitled to behave how he wants to impress his moronic friends.

I'll wait till the movie comes out to Redbox and just rent it and watch it in peace at my own home on a smaller screen, but still with a somewhat impressive surround sound system.

If it was a new third party, I'd feel that just maybe there's an outside chance they could build a real, sustainable service having something to do with bulk purchase of and/or subscription to movie tickets.

But if it's the very same guy who already left some customers feeling they didn't get what they were promised, and made few friends in the industry either, I don't see what hope there is. Who's going to trust him / the new company?

The last couple of movies I went to were met with rude, inconsiderate as$hats in other seats....throwing things at other patrons, talking loudly, taking phone calls, throwing trash all over the place and when you tell them to stop they try to get in your face about how you're disrespecting them and now they want to fight.....

I'd certainly like to go back to the theaters and enjoy movies on the big screen and impressive sound systems, but I'm not going to put myself in that position again to have to discipline a snot nosed piece of $hit because he thinks he's entitled to behave how he wants to impress his moronic friends.

I'll wait till the movie comes out to Redbox and just rent it and watch it in peace at my own home on a smaller screen, but still with a somewhat impressive surround sound system.

Where do you live 1980's New York City?

I go to the movies all the time (or I did before pandemic) and haven't experienced anything like this in most shows and only during launch night shows is there ever even the typical teens who like to talk but even they usually shut up a minute or two into the movie.

Worst thing I can think of is the occasional frying baby whose parents doesn't decide to take them out of the area (most of them will but obviously not always).

Back