Moving Programs from one instance of Windows to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a corrupt OS that wouldn't boot in any mode. I reinstalled a separate instance of windows xp to C:\Window instead of C:\Windows to save data. I am looking to move my programs from the old location to the new installed instance.

Can any help me?

Just out of curiosity, why are doing it this way? Would it not be easier just to re-install the programs? You may run into more issues later on when a particular program calls a file in c:\windows and it can't find it.

a small simple program might consist of just one or few files. But most programs consist of many, many programs scattered across multiple directories on your windows. Some of the files used by a program may, in fact, also be used by multiple different programs. All of which means: you must reinstall programs to get them to work. You can't just "move" them.

i am doing this for 2 reasons. 1st the user has data on his machine not backed up. 2nd my office didnt take "good" care of the cds for this machine. i am new to this place and tryin to keep the licensing legit. anyone use COA2

Yes, I remember using COA2 long ago. It does what you could do manually by searching the registry for (for example) 'c:\windows' and substituting 'c:\window' if that's what you want it to do. It will also search in the same way through .ini files and .cfg files and .txt files.

So far, so good, it will take you a long way very easily. however, lately, programs have tended to save their specs in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways, such as .dat files, .xml files, fully encrypted files and so forth. In other words, it may not fully solve your problem, but those programs that kick up a fuss can of course be reinstalled. Although not taking good care of CD's probably means they are lost, or plain illegal installs in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back