Mozilla releases Firefox 4 Beta 9

Emil

Staff

Mozilla has released Firefox 4 Beta 9. The new beta build comes less than a month after the Beta 8 release, and includes faster start-up time, bookmarking, and smoother complex animations.

The vast majority of the bug fixes are related to fine-tuning the core functionality and fixing stability problems. It's worth noting, however, that the bookmarks and history code has been overhauled, enabling faster bookmarking and startup performance. At the same time, per-compartment garbage collection has now enabled, reducing work done during complex animations. For more information, check out the release notes.

If you're already running a previous beta of Firefox 4 you should see an automatic update soon. Alternatively, you can download Beta 9 directly for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux 32-bit/64-bit. The beta supports 76 languages.

Mozilla was originally planning on having Firefox 4 out by the end of last year, but it has had to delay the release till next month. There's possibly still a Beta 10 before we see the release candidate and final builds arrive.

Permalink to story.

Running Beta 9 now, so far no problems with any of my favorite web sites. The start-up portion is definitely faster than it was on Beta 8.

fpsgamerJR62 said:
Running Beta 9 now, so far no problems with any of my favorite web sites. The start-up portion is definitely faster than it was on Beta 8.

Same here. I had some unusual behavior where it would pause for about 5-10 seconds at startup, which is now completely fixed under Beta 9. Whatever they're doing, they're on the right track. I hope the final release is super stable as I am enjoying the hell out of the GPU acceleration.

Same here. I had some unusual behavior where it would pause for about 5-10 seconds at startup, which is now completely fixed under Beta 9. Whatever they're doing, they're on the right track. I hope the final release is super stable as I am enjoying the hell out of the GPU acceleration.

I had that same problem with pauses that are gone now. I'm happy with this version.

I just installed Beta 9, and the text (everything other than the orange Firefox button in the top left), looks blurry to me and not as crisp as other browsers. Reminds me of when i tried Safari browser for the first time. Same type of text and same blurry effect. I used to use Firefox as my default for a while, then went to Chrome for speed and function, but if the text doesn't look right, then thats a killer for me. I will post this comment as feedback to the Mozilla team as well.

The browser is fast, Sync is nice, and the UI is clean, but even all that cannot make my eyes ignore blurry and unclean looking text.

Back