MPAA threatens Congress over SOPA, says blackout "abuse of power"

Rick

Staff

Former senator turned MPAA CEO, Christopher Dodd, managed to earn the public's ire this week by making remarks which many claim are akin to a public admission of bribery. A petition to investigate the former senator has already garnered over 25,000 supporters -- enough support to warrant an official response from the White House. 

While discussing SOPA with Fox News, Dodd stated that Hollywood would pull its financial support from politicians -- especially democrats -- if they chose to support the tech industry over Hollywood. The former senator said:

Candidly, those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who’s going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don’t ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don’t pay any attention to me when my job is at stake. …

I would caution people don’t make the assumption that because the quote 'Hollywood community' has been historically supportive of Democrats, which they have, don’t make the false assumptions this year that because we did it in years past, we will do it this year. These issues before us -- this is the only issue that goes right to the heart of this industry.

While the underlying mechanics of quid pro quo seem apparent in Dodd's message to public officials, a spokesman for the MPAA worked to smooth over the CEO's verbal misstep with this rather truistic statement, "Senator Dodd was merely making the obvious point that people support politicians whose views coincide with their own. When politicians take positions that people disagree with, those people tend not to support".

The interview came just after a MPAA public statement which criticized (PDF) website operators for participating in the anti-SOPA blackout protest. Although it names no names, the open letter accuses websites like Wikipedia for furthering their own corporate interests by abusing the power and freedom they are afforded as a business. The letter states:

"some technology business interests are resorting to stunts that punish their users or turn them into their corporate pawns, rather than coming to the table to find solutions to a problem that all now seem to agree is very real and damaging.

It is an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on them for information and use their services. It is also an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today. It’s a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests.

A so-called 'blackout' is yet another gimmick, albeit a dangerous one, designed to punish elected and administration officials,"

Dodd's recent words also drew a direct response from Wikipedia Founder, Jimmy Wales. During the Design Life Digital (DLD) conference in Munich, Wales voiced his belief that Dodd ought to be fired.

"That’s not an abuse of power, that’s democracy," Wales fired back, responding to accusations that websites were abusing their power by staging blackout protests against SOPA. He also said that Dodd "had best get used to it", indicating that over 10 million people contacted Congress about SOPA.

Dodd left public service early last year in order to become the Motion Picture Association of America's chief executive officer. He admits the road has been bumpy.

"Up until a week ago I thought that was a pretty good decision," Dodd jokingly quipped. "the white noise has made it impossible to have a conversation about this," he continued. "We’ve gotta find a better way to have that conversation than we have in the last two weeks."

Permalink to story.

Dodd is such a putz. How did anyone as arrogant and uneducated as he is get to be a Senator (the people of Connecticut should be embarrassed as hell for voting him in) and CEO of the MPAA?

Well he is right. His job is under pressure because the people want change in the industry. They want the model to change. And Chris, the customer is ALWAYS right. You want to keep trying to putty up your leaky, archaic business model, you can try. Someone in Hollywood may some day have the balls to give people what they want and they will succeed where you are so publicly failing.

Steam is proof that online distribution works and beats piracy.

I agreed I use steam to buy lots games they showed that online distribution works legally. Now if MPAA/RIAA could figure this out we be much better off.

Sounds a lot like the reaction that the British had towards the Boston tea party... Funny that protest and demonstration in defense of basic liberties was part of the founding of America, yet when it doesn't suit corporate America, it's "abuse of power." And yet, the companies who are trying to institute changes to benefit themselves at the expense of the people (and potentially have a massive international impact as well) are abusing their own power and trying to buy off officials that were elected by the people.

I don't think there has been any clearer example of the pot calling the kettle black in recent memory.

Hollywood has turned our country to garbage. Stop buying their new releases. Stop going to the movies on opening day. Stop spending money on Hollywood products. Their influence is destroying us. Hollywood is out of control. Stop giving them money!

Agreeing with the post above me. Also, most of their movies today are plain horrible, and they charge far too much. Hollywood gets no sympathy from me.

Guest said:
Hollywood has turned our country to garbage. Stop buying their new releases. Stop going to the movies on opening day. Stop spending money on Hollywood products. Their influence is destroying us. Hollywood is out of control. Stop giving them money!
As much as I agree, I doubt that will ever happen.

Steve Jobs showed everyone how to monetize downloaded content and make sure creators get money. Too bad the movie industry is so backward that they can't even figure out a way to effectively copy that model. They already have consumers over a barrel with the Millennium Copyright Act, wherein you are a law-breaker if you copy a DVD that you bought at full price. Its high time consumers stopped subsidizing uncreative & repetitive entertainment with high prices on the things that are actually good.

Wales is just as bad! At least Dodd is rolling in dough from MPAA and kickbacks, Wales is rolling in it from a NOT for profit organisation that *needs* well over ten million a year to operate (I call BS).

This is tosser V tosser…

I had the impression it was the community that asked for a blackout from these companies? If not, they totally supported the idea once it appeared on the internet.

Screw those hollywood aholes they are the only reason sopa and pipa came to be. They lobbied for them. Lobbying meaning they threw money at them, both sides. Now they are crying because the voice of the people beat their deep pockets.

"It is also an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today. It’s a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests."

-- Sounds like he's talking about the mainstream media to me. o_O

One comes to wonder, what would happen if everyone skips the next big screening. Let them know the consequences of acting in front of an angry audience. How dare you bite the hands that feeds you. Suddenly steak and wine are not good enough anymore.

Guest said:
Nevermind the fact that this organisation has an insane amount of servers and bandwith requirements and whatnot just to keep running like it does. It's the 6th most popular site on the web, standing there in a league with the likes of:
-google (youtube, etc)
-facebook
-twitter
-amazon
-blogspot
-yahoo
-live.com (microsoft)
Do you know just HOW MUCH F***ING MORE they spend on running their stuff alone than Wikipedia?
Just as "bad", right... Hope you're just trolling.

That was in response to #14 btw, messed up the quote.

All I'm saying is that if the next headline I read says Christopher Dodd dropped dead, I'm not losing any sleep.

we can surely do without Hollywood and the filth they're pumping out.

the "tech industry" is far more important.

You ever notice the only people worried about piracy are the ones making millions of dollars? The simple truth is this, piracy is a VERY good indicator of how good your product is. If you find your product on dozens of sites and pirated by hundreds of people then you have done a very good job and have already made a ton of money. Be happy your stuff gets pirated, no one pirates crap!!

How enyone could even suggest that public opinion would stand after Holliwood but not the technical community, this is a lost battle for Hollywood and they must show their respect to upcomming technologies, they also use a lot of technologies just to remind them, and when they use technologies for their movies they are fine with the tech community.

They whole thing will seriously reflect, in other words damage the Hollywood image and noone would that easily agree with them as they wish. Simply because everyone can do a lot of time without movies but noone could do even 5 min without internet. So better bend their tail and understand they went on the wrong way before they harmed their own industry for the public opinion and its reaction too much.

Back