MS update: Now NET.Framework V1..0.3705 bars Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyGuitar

MS Update usually goes off smoothly but a minor problem this time.

I always click -Programs - Off - Standby, when leaving the computer.

Since the MS update yesterday, error message stops the move to *Stand-by*.

** Microsoft.NET.Framework. V1.0.3705 update stopping *Stand-by*.

Message suggests disabling or something.

What? Why? How? Where?

Is MS kidding?

Is a temporary / reversable fix possible? = TG [Tony]

What does the message tell you to disable ?
Tell us and we might be able to tell you how.

Do you actually require the .NET Framework ?
Try a System Restore to before the update,
or uninstall the latest version from Add/Remove programs,

I`ve never needed .NET Framework (AFAIK :))

Po* Girl,

Nice of you to help. So far it only prevents going on standby so not very serious.

Using four browsers , [there are reasons], Mozilla, Opera, Netscape and IE.

Framework comes into play at times so, like a slow turtle, I will do nothing but wait to see if MS will offer a *fix*.

Everything else seems to work fine, so no sudden moves on my part just yet.

Not much evidence of others with any similar .NET Framework v1.0.3705 update problem so far. . . Time will tell. = TG

Still Prevents computer from going to *standby* after downloading . .

MS.NET.Framework v.2

NET.Framework v.1.0.3705 caused problem ... V.2 is NOT a fix. = TG

Three things -

1.None of your browsers would need the .NET Framework.

2.Have you installed any 3rd party programs recently that would be using
.NET Framework......?

3.Did you try the System Restore option ?

There really isn't a need to install any of the .NET Frameworks unless you are doing web/software development or if you're running software* that depended on a .NET Framework.

* Even then, I have never seen software require a full install of the .NET Framework...only required components.

You can uninstall .NET Frameworks by going to the Add/Remove Programs utility (Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs). The .NET Framework(s) you have installed will be listed as "Microsoft .NET Framework x.x"**

** x.x refers to the version of the Framework. Example, Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1.

In order to effectively use a System Restore Point you'd need to know how far back to go before the problem occurred. And restoring Restore Point after Restore Point until you find the right one is just time consuming and annoying. Try uninstalling the Frameworks but keep in mind that doing so may or may not break a software's functionality.

Po Girl and ITGuy702,

OK, Looks like a removal of the three NET.Framework versions is the solution.

When and if an application requires Net.Framework, it is always easily available ahyhow.

I will let you know if the computer standby function is re-enabled. = TG

OK, Standby function is now Back!

[1] Removed MS.NETFramework v.1.14322 = Restart = still blocking standby*

[2] Removed MS.NET.Framework v.1.03705 = Restart = still blocking standby*

[3] Removed MS>Net.Framework v. [sorry,forgot] = Restart = all OK!

Normal standby function has returned. Have used computer Saturday and part Sunday with several moves to *Standby* and all seems normal.

I thought there could be more people with NET.Framework glitches.

Maybe very few people know you must choose *Turn computer off* before choosing standby. Does anyone use standby?

Works fine for me. = TG

Hey TG,

Glad to hear that Stand By is working for you again. I don't normally use Stand By. But I just tested Stand By and it worked just fine. And I currently have .NET Frameworks 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 installed on my machine.

You can set your system to go into Stand By mode automatically by going into the Display Utility. To get to this utility and change the Stand By settings do the following:

1. Click on Start
  2. Click on Control Panel
  3. Click on Display
  4. Click on the Screen Saver Tab
  5. Click on the Power... Button
  6. Change the System standby dropdown to desired time you'd wish your system to go into Stand By mode
  7. Click the OK Button
  8. Click the OK Button

Now after x amount of minutes/hours your system will automatically go into Stand By mode. But yes, if you do not have this set then you must choose *Turn computer off* before choosing standby

If it was .net related I might suggest downloading the .net cleanup tool, I don't remember the actual site i got it but u should find it easy with Google. It uninstalls all the .net stuff and registry settings etc. least that should help u rule out .net and open new places to look for the error XD

Microsoft.NET.Framework and what I learned from advice and links supplied here.

You will likely get Net.Framework versions downloaded to your hardDrive during routine MS Updates. In most cases the Net.Framework will sit on your drive for use by other MS software without much notice.

NET.Framework got in the way and prevented my usual use of **Standby**. I removed the NET.Framework using ADD/Remove Programs. So far there seems to be no further problems and **Standby** works properly.

When a routine requires NET.Framework, then it will be updated once again and then I hope the version will no longer block the use of Standby.

Thank you TechSpot, Thank you guys and gal, Thank you Wiki...

Try to get an electric car and save $400 in monthly gas bills. = TG

http://TonyGuitar.blogspot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back