MS Updates: Clandestine & Parochial

D

DelJo63

After three full days of troubleshooting multiple error codes like 0x80070005, 0x8024000b, watching services startup modes being manipulate in background, I've had my full - - I quit. My next system will NOT be a platform for Microsoft.

I'm convinced that one of the last updates I did apply was Clandestine & Parochial toward Win/7 Pro 64bit and altered the internals of Update.

Please, don't suggest fix xyz for the codes noted above - - I've gone catch-22 on both of those until I'm disgusted.

Just so you know, Updates occur in three phases:
1) Run the update program, select one or more KBs to install and proceed.

2) Restart your system to complete and you get Please Wait, Configuring Windows and finally the Restart

3) During the Reboot, you see that lovely expression again,

Please Wait, Configuring Windows...
xx% Complete
xx% Complete
xx% Complete
Update Failed, Restoring Files
Please Wait, Configuring Windows...
xx% Complete
xx% Complete
xx% Complete

and finally the Desktop appears.

Failure always occurs in Phase3 and to the best I can determine, one or more Services are in Manual Startup, when it should have be Automatic as otherwise you get 0x80070005, 0x8024000b or some other.

Well, my Win/7 is still good enough for Web site programming, so at least it's marginally better than a boat anchor - - the glass is always half full.

Just fyi follow-up: The above fiasco consumed 200+ GB in just System Restore points. Emptied S.R. and created a new one which discovered the waste.

Back