MS Warns of Vista SP2 Compatibility Problems

bobcat

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969707

Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows Vista and for Windows Server 2008 contains many security, reliability, and feature updates.

But MS now warns that this Service Pack has been found to have compatibility problems with 11 apps (up to now), mainly security utilities. These apps may not start, not run or have loss of functionality.

Other apps may also experience problems. MS advises that if an app that is not mentioned in the table has a change in functionality after installing SP2 for Vista, the user should perform the following actions:

• Restart the computer at least one time. This may correct the problem.
• Contact the software vendor. There may be a newer version of the program that was released after SP2.
• Report the problem to the software vendor and request an updated version.

Here is the list so far of apps with compatibility problems. It is amusing that MS software is amongst them. :)

Arcsoft Totalmedia v.2.1.6.126
Avira AntiVir v.8
Dr.eye Pro Trad_Chinese v.8.1
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner v.2
Holodeck Enterprise Edition v.2.8.0
Lenovo System Update
Mac OS X by Vista OS X
Microsoft Application Virtualization v.4
PC Tools Spyware Doctor v.5.5.0
Trend Micro Internet Security & Virus Buster v.2008
WebRoot Spy Sweeper v.5.3.1.2344

Good old Microsoft remains true to its tradition. If you ever hear that MS has made a product that doesn’t suck, you can bet your shirt it’s a vacuum cleaner. :)

The list also includes Avira AntiVir 8. As AntiVir is recommended in TS 8-Steps for Removal of Malware, it may be in order to amend Step 1 to advise Vista users to install the new AntiVir version 9.

Regarding the fabulous free Avira

No it won't be amended for the RC SP2
I hope MS get it right, but no doubt Avira (having a fantastic reputation even when they were under another name (years ago)) will update their program to suit Vista SP2 when it's released one day. I don't think a date has been set yet
I note that you state version 9 of Avira works, well if you go to the 8-Step guide that's all you can download since it was released

If users want to test RC then they need to be aware that RC really means Beta
I once argued this with MS, and in the end they gave me all these definitions and said yes it's Beta.

Edit.

By the way, did you think Avira would just stop supporting Vista or something? I very much doubt it ;)
Avira Free Antivirus is my preferred Antivirus

I think the better way to test SP2 is to use it on a Virtual Machine thus you may know where problem are situated to your program. Also as Kimsland mentioned it is a Beta, so you may wait a little for the final release to be out.

MS software problems with Vista SP2

I tried to quote from Bobcat but could not since I am a first-time user. He was talking about Vista SP2 being incompatibile with several software products - including MS products.

I think Microsoft Office Document Imaging (MODI) may be one of the MS products which has trouble with Vista SP2.

I cannot see where anyone has had the problem I have had. In my business I depend a lot of TIF files as source documents from which I can OCR bits and pieces. I do not need to OCR whole documents.

Prior to Vista SP2 the TIF files would open "instantly" with MODI either direct or through hyperlink from Word documents. After SP2 even the smallest TIF file would take 30 seconds, almost to the second, to open. I do not have the patience for that.

I saw no solutions anywhere on line. So I uninstalled SP2 and I am back to instant opening TIF files. It is going to take a lot to persuade me to reinstall it. Can the Microsoft System Readiness Tool help with that problem?

I find MODI a very useful application - particularly the ability to OCR just small selected sections of the image. I do not want to swap to a different TIF reader if it does not have the same capabilities as MODI.

Is my problem with TIF files or with MODI? Does anyone know?

Back