Msconfig set to safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Windows XP. I changed the msconfig settings to safe mode to try to remove a virus. When I try to turn it on i get a blue screen informing me that there is a reason that will not let windows start and to restart my computer, when i restart again, I get the same blue screen. No matter what option I choose; safe mode, safe mode with networking, start windows regularly, or last known good configuration, I get that same blue screen, and I was wondering if there is a way I can change the msconfig back to regular boot even though i can not get passed the blue error screen.

You are looking for Errors that correspond to the time of the BSOD. Try to find Error from the last normal Mode.

You will see Errors that are specific to Safe Mode and don't give us the information we need- such as "DCOM didn't start. DCOM won't start in Safe Mode." You are the second person in two days who enabled Safe Mode using msconfig instead of booting into safe Mode using the F8 key. It most like will be an Error in the System Log.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
[1]. Click to open the log>
[2]. Look for the Error>
[3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
[4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
[5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
[6].NOTES
  • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

IF you continue on this old thread, only those who have subscribed to it or who open it will see your post.

Ok, sorry I guess I'm not being totally clear, since the computer will not allow windows to start, no matter which option i choose from the safe mode screen ( it only boots to the safe mode options screen ) I don't see how i can follow your direction to use "Start> Run> type in eventvwr". The blue screen says technical information: STOP: 0x0000007B. My main concern is not why the computer will not start in safe mode, but how to get the computer to stop wanting to be booted in safe mode and to be able to boot to windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back