MSI announces FX600MX multimedia notebook

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

MSI has continued to bombard the market with multimedia notebooks, adding another machine to its F series. The FX600MX sports a 15.6-inch LED-backlit screen with a default resolution of 1366x768, which is upgradeable to 1920x1080 -- something media buffs will surely appreciate. It's powered by an Intel Core i5 processor with up to 8GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM, an Nvidia GeForce 310M GPU with 512MB of VRAM and automatic switching technology, 320GB to 640GB of mechanical storage, a DVD burner, and a 720p HD webcam.

Connectivity includes one HDMI and VGA output, two USB 2.0 ports (no USB 3.0), one eSATA, a 4-in-1 card reader (XD/MS/SD/MMC), optional Bluetooth 2.1, gigabit Ethernet, and 802.11b/g/n wireless. The package weighs about 5.3lbs (2.4kg) with a 6-cell battery (we don't see a runtime estimate) and it'll come with Windows 7 Home Premium. In its usual fashion, MSI hasn't revealed pricing and availability just yet. In the meantime, be sure to read our recently updated laptop buying guide if you're shopping for a new notebook.

Permalink to story.

What do you have that justifies having usb 3.0? Prob not much. I'm looking around at my pc room at about 10k worth of electronics and I've still yet to look for devices with this feature.

seems good but the price will matter the most, TS's recent buying guide should be useful for deciding, also in light of the recent useful tool 'decrapfier' I had the thought that MSI stuff are the most crapware stuffed notebook around.

This laptop sure sounds hot. I wonder how it would do with gaming. I would really like to get one, but it will take forever for it to become available here (in Botswana) and even if it doues come here, it would probably be priced rediculously high :(

Great laptop with lots of goodies but usb 3.0 would seal the deal for a lot of people. Im tired of waiting on 20 GB of data to transfer over usb 2.0

God, I am pissed at Intel for not supporting USB 3.0. My buddy just got an external, and it rips on his usb 3.0 port. It would be great to have on my laptop.

Thats why the new Dell xps 15 interests me so much..

Nice features, but not having USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 3.0 support is big minus. For the price you are paying I think you should have that at least. And the price will be overrated for sure.

They are improving with each laptop :). My First Laptop was a MSI but i already have a new one.

My Mom and dad love my old MSI :)

eSata is something I havent seen in a laptop before, I would love that, then you can run a small inexpensive SSD internally and have fast bulk storage plugged in.
Always been wary of relying on a usb 2.0 external drive.

Its still a great laptop but usb 3.0 would be so much better. I would not buy a new laptop without usb 3.0 or any computer for that matter sata 6 and usb 3.0 are the future company's need to realise this and step up and give consumers what they want.

This looks almost the same as the dell studio xps 16. i wonder what the price of this one will be.

Back