MSI GX630 does not boot

sadbluescreener

Hi I have a MSI GX630. it has a AMD Athlon X2 QL-62 processor @ 2.0GHz, 4GB of RAM but I'm running a 32-bit version of Win7 and a 9600m GT GPU with 512MB VRAM.

Up until recently I used it to play games such as Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty 6, but then I began to have temperature problems where I saw the CPU at 100 degrees and more for simple web-browsing while the graphics card was at 50 degrees. I came to this forum and was advised to change the thermal compound (as I had had my heat sink lifted off in an attempt to fix the overheating problem).

Upon changing the thermal compound I saw great results and my temperatures were great! When I played games my max temp for both CPU and GPU were 80 or maybe a little bit more in harsh conditions. I thought that was the end of my worries but after playing some CoD one day I realised that the computer froze. I thought this was just because I had played for too long and so I did a forced shutdown and left it to cool off. However, when I tried to turn it back on, nothing came up on the screen. The Caps-lock light and Hard Drive light flickered once and then were gone and the machine just sat there, not booting anything. The fan is spinning but I can't tell if the HD is working in there.

is there anyone that could help me with a fix or fill me in on why my machine refuses to boot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Methinks you ran it too hot too hard too long... damaging the CPU or CPU cooler, and making a boot nearly impossible. You likely need an onsite tech to take a look to see if your CPU or motherboard are damaged.

Running that CPU at 100 degrees and then a 80 degrees is sure to have been harmful to the CPU and perhaps to the motherboard as well.

Did someone tell you it was ok to run it at those extremes?

I never actually used it for long when it was at the high temps like 90+, i just turned it on and saw that the temps were high while just trying to do simple web-browsing and then i shut it off. No wait, there were sometimes when I had to finish some programming and I had no other machine to use so I used it while it had high temps. Noone told me it was ok, but I had work to do, I never played games with it before I changed the compound.
If I have damaged my CPU/mobo then should I assume there's no fix to that?

Most often, you can repalce the CPU with a used one... but you have to figger out what is wrong, and why it failed... you might benefit from the observations of a local tech-smart friend who can look your system over and run some simple tests.

Back