MSI's Ryzen 4000-powered Bravo gaming laptops now available for pre-order

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Are you looking for a reasonably priced gaming laptop powered by AMD hardware? MSI might have the answer. The company has started pre-orders for the MSI Bravo 15 and Bravo 17 machines that combine Ryzen 4000 H-series processors with Radeon RX 5500M GPUs.

Last month, we detailed the Ryzen 4000 chips, which are based on the Zen 2 architecture built on the 7nm process and come in low-power U-series and high-performance H-series variants.

The Bravo laptops can be specced up to a Ryzen 7 4800H—an 8-core/16-thread CPU with a 2.9GHz base clock speed that can boost up to 4.2GHz. Those looking to save some money could opt for the Ryzen 5 4600H, which drops the core count to six (12 threads) and has a base clock of 3GHZ with a boost of 4GHz.

Other specs include AMD’s Radeon RX 5500M GPU that comes with 4GB of GDDR6 memory. You also get up to 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD, while the Bravo 17 includes a 1TB HDD with the sold-state drive.

Both laptops’ “IPS-level” screens are 1920 x 1080 and feature a 120Hz refresh rate. There’s also AMD Freesync, so less demanding titles should offer super smooth gameplay at high frame rates. Elsewhere, there are three USB Type-A ports, two USB Type-C ports, an RJ45 Ethernet port, a security lock slot, a headphone jack and an HDMI port, though the Bravo 17 swaps out one of the Type-C ports for a microphone port, strangely.

“We successfully doubled the power efficiency of the Bravo series compared to its previous generation, delivering a high performing laptop consumers can rely on, at a competitive price,” said Andy Tung, President at MSI Computer Corp.

The Bravo 15 with 8GB RAM and the Ryzen 5 is available from Newegg for $929, while the 16GB/Ryzen 7 option costs $999. At the time of writing, both are listed as out of stock, but you can be notified when they’re back in. The Bravo 17 is available with 16GB RAM and a Ryzen 7 for $1,099, though its Newegg listing appears to have been removed.

Permalink to story.

The RX 5500M is mediocre, comfortably beaten by 1660Ti while additionally the Nvidia part uses less power. AMD have done wonders with notebook Ryzens but their mobile GPUs still leave a lot to be desired. You're giving up the power efficiency gained by the Ryzen parts by pairing it with a thirstier GPU.

A 4600H paired with a 1660Ti would be a useful midrange gaming laptop.

And as always you know what is lost with great power at a reasonable price. Literally every MSI laptop which has similar build/look has crappy build quality. nontheless for what you're getting its to be expected I guess.

"AMD CPU" and "gaming" aren't really the best in the same sentence that I know of. This seems a loss. If the mobile CPUs are more "efficient", it seems to be because they have less performance. It also seems AMD GPUs are even more inefficient. Seems like a lose-lose scenario?

I keep reading Intel CPUs are better for gaming. That is, if the GPU isn't the bottleneck (such as 1080p gaming).

"AMD CPU" and "gaming" aren't really the best in the same sentence that I know of. This seems a loss. If the mobile CPUs are more "efficient", it seems to be because they have less performance. It also seems AMD GPUs are even more inefficient. Seems like a lose-lose scenario?

I keep reading Intel CPUs are better for gaming. That is, if the GPU isn't the bottleneck (such as 1080p gaming).
Not in the laptop realm. AMD's latest 4000 series smash Intel CPU's including gaming this time round.

I agree with VulcanProject. AMD have worked wonders on the CPU side...Now they need to put more resources behind GPU development. As things stand - Nvidia has the more compelling (but more expensive) product, especially in the mobile arena. Future products may do some something to address the imbalance, but with Ampere on the way...they have a mountain to climb.

Back