Multi processor mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone im kinda new to the multi processor area, and i was just wondering if it was possible to run a motherboard with 2 or 4 CPU slots with only 1 actual CPU?

Thanks for the help and advice.

-Andrew

Why not? As long as there's at least one CPU present, I don't think it would cause any problems (other than ur PC not booting ;))

Yes you can do it no problem, actually this is how most of the multi-CPU machines are sold - with only one or two processors fitted and the rest optional.

The one CPU present has to be in the slot/socket 0.

AndrewHwang said:
Hi everyone im kinda new to the multi processor area, and i was just wondering if it was possible to run a motherboard with 2 or 4 CPU slots with only 1 actual CPU?

Thanks for the help and advice.

-Andrew

Do you mean the slots in older cpu's as in a slot that kind of looks like a pci slot, or a newer cpu with a "socket like" slot? (Trying to learn this for the future as my interest has been raised on this subject after reading this post).

Yes of course. You have to look under server motherboards.

Pay attention to the form factor before you buy though - you may not be able to fit the thing in your case :)

Also not all CPU's are capabile of running more then one CPU on the motherboard.

Exaple- 2+ Athlon CPUs can't run together

2+ Operys can

You also have get sever class CPUs

You might need to put a dummy processor in the sockets you don't plan on using to get it to function properly. I have never built a multi-processor setup, but we do have multi-processor servers at work that I am responsible for. On our Eservers there is a dummy processor in socket 2 that we would pull out and replace with a real processor if we upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back