Multimedia audio controller help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I'm having a lot of trouble installing my multimedia audio controller on my dv8309 hp laptop. The OS I am running is windows xp x64 pro. Mainboard is is hp 309b, Bios version f.42. Video is ati express 200m. I also have a few other drivers missing like mass storage controller, network and sm bus controller, and pci modem. Please, can you help.

Does this laptop support a 64-bit Operating System? If so, go to the HP Support site and find drivers for your dv8309 there

First, the only consideration for 32-bit vs 64-bit Windows is the amount of RAM memory and that simply for addressing. You can always run 64-bit Windows on any machine that has compantible for 32-bit Windows.

Scrappydoo, you're probably trying to install the 32-bit version of the device drivers instead of the 64-bit. Go to the manufacturers support web site and make sure you download the 64-bit device drivers.

-- Andy

Hey Andy,
doesn't the CPU have to be 64-bit capable to run a 64-bit OS?

No. Windows 64-bit runs on 32 -bit microprocessors.

The 64-bit has to do with addresses. A 32-bit address corresponds to 4 GB address space. Most address space is reserved (or really left over) for RAM, but when you go above 4 GB of address space you need to switch to 64-bit addresses (corresponds to some motehr whopping number 4TB or something I once calculated.)

I think I know what's confusing you about this. Just because they call it "64-bit" Windows doesn't mean it requires a 64-bit processor. It means that it uses addresses that are 64-bits wide. OTOH, a 64-bit processor can hold and process an entire 64-bit long instruction (opcode + operands) That's a different matter. So, a 64-bit processor processes 64-bit wide instructions while 64-bit Windows uses 64-bit addresses but the instructions are encoded in 32-bits.

Tech jargon, especially in computers, can be confusing because it depends on what you are referring to when you use it. It's all in the context.

-- Andy

Confusion Over What 64-bit Means

Hey Andy,
doesn't the CPU have to be 64-bit capable to run a 64-bit OS?

No. Windows 64-bit runs on 32 -bit microprocessors.

The 64-bit has to do with addresses. A 32-bit address corresponds to 4 GB address space. Most address space is reserved (or really left over) for RAM, but when you go above 4 GB of address space you need to switch to 64-bit addresses (corresponds to some motehr whopping number 4TB or something I once calculated.)

I think I know what's confusing you about this. Just because they call it "64-bit" Windows doesn't mean it requires a 64-bit processor. It means that it uses addresses that are 64-bits wide. OTOH, a 64-bit processor can hold and process an entire 64-bit long instruction (opcode + operands) That's a different matter. So, a 64-bit processor processes 64-bit wide instructions while 64-bit Windows uses 64-bit addresses but the instructions are encoded in 32-bits.

Tech jargon, especially in computers, can be confusing because it depends on what you are referring to when you use it. It's all in the context.

BTW, when I worked in high tech engineering, I once worked on a 256-bit processor! That's right it could hold a hold and process 256-bits a one time! Not only that it was 5 cores! That was a SUPER-CHARGED processor we were developing!

-- Andy

"The 64-bit has to do with addresses"...

Exactly! That's why I wouldn't run a 64-bit OS without running a 64-bit CPU with it

You Missed the Point

"The 64-bit has to do with addresses"...

Exactly! That's why I wouldn't run a 64-bit OS without running a 64-bit CPU with it

Again, you missed the point, although I admitted it's confusing.

64-bit processor means the instructions are 64-bits long.

64-bit Windows means the addresses (operands) are up to 64-bits wide but the instruction opcodes are still 32-bits. You run it on a 32-bit processor.

Yes you can run Windows 64-bit on a 64-bit processor but the increased performance is nil as the code is optimized for 32-bit processors.

-- Andy

Ok Andy,
back to the thread, Scrappydoo has a 64-bit OS and he needs 64-bit drivers right? If they are available on HP's support site he's good, if not, he's going to have big trouble

That's right. The device drivers must be able to work with 64-bit addresses, hence they also must be 64-bit versions.

I also have that problems as well... but different tho

MODS: If I am in wrong section under the user, then pls move me to the topic section just for mine as 32-bit cuz in this section was abt 64-bit! Sorry abt that if that is so! Thanks!

I also have the same like this yellow question mark on Multmedia Audio Controller as well which it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)" and was unable to understand at all as I have had tried few times over for the last few months on and off! But I am deaf so I do not need that sound... lol but still I do need that cuz of the game I was playing called "Bejeweled Twist" and it kept crash all the time when I get higher scored or something like that. But first of all I did use it all the time and had no problems at all for a long time up to few months ago that my computer was crash due to some kind of detect from stupid software that I was trying to install from CD rom! I finally had it format at Staples but they did not even know I had no longer have Multimedia Audio Controller since they did not even noticed or check it before giving it back to me! That was stupid so since then I have refused go back and have them do it right cuz I do not trust them ever again! But i am wondering if u can help me out with this one here.

I did search for all the kind of CD ROM that came with this DELL and never found any of those CDs at all and I couldn't understand why they did not put it in that CDs for reinstall after format???????

My computer is Dell
Windows XP SP 3
Ram 1.00 gb of RAM
Intel Pentium 4
CPU 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz
32 bit

I hope that was it!

Also I am wonder if u do have that one for download for it... I wonder if I could save it to my CD rom? That way if happened again, u know.

Please email me for the information of download if have! I did not want to put down my email address here on this forums till I know if ok or not!

Thanks!

Angel0Wolf

P.S. I finally found what I was trying to find for upload my pix of print screen to show what look like... hope u can see it tho! Pls let me know what I can do abt it!

You can locate all your Dell Drivers HERE
Plus you can even "chat" with support, who will likely just link the exact missing driver for you

But also try Windows Update > Custom updates
Sometimes the updated driver will be provided there as well

Edit:
As this topic was about HP (not Dell) HP users can locate their updated drivers HERE

Thanks, kimsland, but now that u have mention abt DELL support... well, I did that few times and they do not even help me at all cuz at least I think was cuz of no warranty and I did search for the dirvers but was not find at all in my computer tags either! I do know how to find but they do not have any driver for mine so that why I ask u for help but seem it was all for nothing getting trying to find what I have been looking for over 6 months since crash and wipe out without my knowlwage which I though that they could have try to fix! Boy do I wrong abt Staples! I was going to format my computer but I worry on how to get that multimedia autio controller back! All in all, none have found at Dell!

By the way I knew I was in wrong section which I did not know there was Dell section! So thanks for letting me know. Anyway, thanks for trying tell me abt it. I guess I gave up and i won't be able to play with my game anymore! Made me mad/sad! I have had this computer since 2004. I did not have any problems for a long time!! So now things so different and act so weird behavior that I can't figure out...nor pin down to what the problems was!

Beside ur section abt DELL has closed so was unable to post it! so instead using here then

My computer is Dell
Its a Dell is it?
Made in 2004 or before that some time?
Well please provide the Dell model number (although all I'm going to do is check for the Dell drivers)
Did the Windows Update work?

There is no Dell section
But yes you should have created your own Topic
Especially since your issue is not an easy fix now

By the way Dell will chat with you on expired warrantied computers
OR you can just email support (as provided in that link)

First off, didn't read what I said the first time up there? Yes DELL....

Yes Window Update is fine but there is no track any kind for my missing multimedia at all or any kind of which I do not know nothing! What I am trying to say I have had search for the last 6 months include Dell but I did try to find the email so I can email to the other than to chat with them cuz it was too hard for me to explain so I like email best and easier that way alone with pix of screenshots and also yes made in 2004 which happened to be in Nov. that time my brother gave me for my early xmas as well as birthday.

But but pls move my section to the topic somewhere! So I don't have to redo again in other section! That was why I ask MODS to move if I was in the wrong place! Good grief, I am getting so frustration for the last 6 months I have had struggles for so long as I am abt to give up and format them again but still I know I wouldn't get that multimedia again anyway! Why waste my time to do that? I did not want to ask Dell forums again pls! cuz I had problems with them due to my very tiny ...... I am sorry just that I am very frustration for so long!

Remember that I AM DEAF.

Ah! Actually, I should have said: My computer is Dimension 3000 and 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
MS Windows XP Home Edition...

Sorry! (***** me!)

No I don't remember that

When you email Dell support >> http://support.dell.com/support/supportrequests/create.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Just say:

Hi Support,

I have a Dell (insert Model number here) running Windows XP SP3 32 Bit

I am trying to locate my Audio drivers, direct download link
Please supply me with this link, so as I can get my Sound to work

Thanks for your time

Regards,
AngelWolf
My email address is... (insert your email address here)

Note: Do not supply your email address here at Techspot

EDIT:
Here's your support page: http://support.dell.com/support/top...pport_central?c=us&l=en&systemid=DIM_CEL_3000

Sighs! I gave up that I can't put the link that I want to show u weren't let me as it kept say 5 or greater which I still simple don't understand! I am out of here! sorry i am very impatience with this for kept saying ... 5 or greater.... each time I put down the link for u to click it! I can't get thru this without any link at all!

But I am deaf so I do not need that sound... lol
That is what I mean to say... remember...

Anyway, as I am trying to say is that I can't...... wait a min let me send u thru ur private messeger so u can click it to the Dell that I want to show u ok?

Yikes! I can't even send pm to u till up to 30 posts! Oh boy!! How can I give or show u the link that I was trying to show u??

But one thing I can show u is:
Our records show that your Dell Hardware Warranty Support has expired. We are still here for you and offer a variety of solutions, some of which are listed below.

So that why I can't get to email?

Thanks...

P.S. BTW, I was going to say something in pm but I will just say that I am sorry for being mad but it was not at u but with my English that was hard to explain as I am deaf.... oh well... sorry abt that!

Hi AngelWolf

I'm not sure if i can help but would be happy to at least take a look at your device hardware and the Dell drivers.

• Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Please try this. Rt click My Computer->Properties.
> Click Hardware tab
> Driver Signing button
> Check Warn and check Make this action default
> Click OK and OK

Now try reinstalling the driver. Do you get a warning popup message about the driver being unsigned? If so, click yes to continue.

Let me know what happens...

Please try this. Rt click My Computer->Properties.
> Click Hardware tab
> Driver Signing button
> Check Warn and check Make this action default
> Click OK and OK

Now try reinstalling the driver. Do you get a warning popup message about the driver being unsigned? If so, click yes to continue.

Let me know what happens...

Ok I did that but I did make sure that both have checked on which already did anyway but how on earth I get to reinstalling the driver? Cuz I do not have that driver for that... from CD or what? Well, like I said I did serach thru all of Dell CD roms that came with have no driver whatever. So that why I did try to reinstalling from that... but none found in any of CDs Know I mean?

Oh and I will be back to check after dinner... :)

Oh. All the drivers for your computer are available on Dell's support site (click here).

(I thought you had already been to the site.) Click to and download and install the audio driver on the site

Oh. All the drivers for your computer are available on Dell's support site (click here).

(I thought you had already been to the site.) Click to and download and install the audio driver on the site

But but which one? But did u say ALL??? Mostly I already have on my Dell and yes I was at site but I did not know which one or even none of them?? So that why I was confused and did not know which is which for Multimedia Audio controller driver! I feel like I am dumb for not understand which I am anyway! I just want to have ONLY ONE THING for that! Haha sorry just saw ur replied back so fast.... ok brb after dinner! :)

AngelWolf,
it is highly possible that your 2004 Dell motherboard has a failed audio processor chip. You can have a PCI sound card installed or use a USB sound device. I understand that you are deaf and the loss of the audio device does affect the games that you play

USB Audio device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back