multimedia controller problems in device manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other week i installed windows XP pro (sp2) onto my dell desktop and it's having some problems with sound. In the device manger (and in the system info app) the following registered as problem devices:

ethernet controller
multimedia controller
multimedia video controller
multimedia audio controller

I am using the onboard sound card, and have installed the soundMax drivers from the dell website - which did take the "multimedia audio controller" off the list, but I still have no sound. Also, the ethernet port is not working either. I was wondering if anyone has any advice they can give.

Cheers,
Vit

Did you install the motherboard drivers? If so then In Device Manager, double click on the device and then click the driver tab and then click Update Driver.

you need to install the drivers for those devices from your dell disc. or download the drivers from the dell site.

Device Manager - XP Pro

Hey gang,

I am having issues with my Dell Inspiron 5100 notebook. These issues occured today after reinstalling Windows XP Pro. No sound, jumpy video quality, cannot connect to LAN using ethernet cable (wireless access only) and I have the following issues identified in device manager (yellow ? and !):

-Ethernet Controller
-Multimedia Audio Controller
-PCI Modem
-Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

This laptop is fairly new. When I try to update drivers, using right click, etc., it does not successfully locate software/drivers.

Please help!

LJ

lancerj,

did you install XP from the Dell disk or is this a different XP disk you used to install XP? either way, the problem is your motherboard drivers are not installed. if you have the dell disk they should be on there. if the computer is a few years old then you will probably need to download the updated drivers for those devices from dell's support site. simply go to the dell support site and enter the model of your laptop or dell ID number for it and it should give you a list of the drivers available for the Mobo on the 5100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back