Music services struggle as major labels demand double what buyers are willing to pay

Justin Kahn

The recording industry has been on a steady decline over the past decade or more as digital downloads pushed CDs aside. It appears that the once $40 billion a year industry is now going through another major transition from downloads to streaming.

While it may seem as though music has gotten cheaper over the years, and to some extent it has, a report from Re/code suggests the average price tag on most current popular streaming options is just too high for the industry to see large numbers of adoption.

Based on data from the International Federation for the Phonographic Industry, at the peak of the recording industry market, music buyers were spending on average $64 a year. That number dropped since the late 90's to around $48 a year currently, according to the world's largest music retailer, Apple. As the report points out, it is clear to see that, at best, the average music consumer is willing to drop between roughly $45 and $65 a year.

Consumers are arguably getting more for their money with modern streaming services compared to the past, but most of the popular on-demand music subscription plans cost around $120 a year. While there are some special cases where the total is lower through family plans, this is around double what would appear to be the amount the average music buyer is willing to spend, according to Re/code's analysis.

The major music labels are difficult to deal with for streaming services that want to offer the lowest price possible. The industry has mandated a minimum monthly fee in which services much charge in order to have access to what ends up being the most popular artists. It has been said that, either consumers will have to start dropping twice their average yearly spend, or the music industry is going to have to allow monthly subscriptions rates to come down fairly dramatically in order for streaming to latch on at its greatest potential.

Permalink to story.

But they need the extra cash otherwise how are they gonna afford that $180million dollar house they will have to wait another dreaded week before they can actually afford it.

Its diabloicle to think that they will need a extra week to get the cash for that house whilst us low income folks are slaving away to earn $30k a year which is what they earn in less than a day.

Come on people the least we can do is slave away another 3 month to afford that extra spare cash to pay for spotify and help make major labels and good/terrible artists alike rich as fooork!

Maybe music should just be free

Maybe musicians should be figuring out creative ways to make money besides selling their music

Maybe record labels no longer have a need to exist

Who runs these dinosaur corporations, it seems they never learn. They could offer their customers value for money and actually earn a decent profit, but no. Instead they keep trying to fleece the customer as much as possible because of their greed, and then ***** and moan about piracy. Morons.

I pay $10 a month ($120 a year) for high quality (320kbps) music from MOG. I opted for both web and mobile access, if you want only web access, it is only $5 a month. I would switch services if it was more than $10 a month. The only downside is that it is a US-only service, so I use a VPN to connect (which I am generally connected to all the time anyways).

They need to change their pricing. Inverse pricing, linked to popularity. I'd probably pay $1 per track for some indie band, but I'd only want to spend at most 10c to d-bags like Justin Beiber. Those losers don't need any more money to spend on drugs and bad habits.

These companies missed the boat a long time ago when they sold their life away to iTunes and the digital realm that they let grow beyond their control... while being out from under their control.

What I mean by that is they had the money and resources to put together a plan, and a web distribution model (and still do) to get their media to the public. "You want music from Sony? OK, got to music.sony.com... here you will find all of our labels and their residing artists... this artist is featured this week so their music is cheaper. CD is too expensive at iTunes $10 an album? Get it here for 5! and at higher quality. Direct!"

I still can't fathom how media/content owners haven't done this yet. They're pissing profits away by handing distribution out to all of these middle men. It's just a file to download!!

They should have cut out the middle man entirely and immediately.

These companies are two big and can't transition to the new model of doing business. We're seeing it everywhere. Auto industry vs. Tesla is another example. These companies can't afford to re-think their entire model. So many jobs are going to be lost, but this is the cost of progress. New markets will emerge. Small businesses and distribution networks will arise through independent labels getting server space and being able to accept payments for a file!

Bands' main issue now is touring and having the brotherhood created by all of these media companies to get in the door to all of these venues and handle all of the logistics that go along with planning a tour. Independent labels need to realize the potential of touring and help investment with these acts.

There is a market for small companies where all they offer is tour logistic services from ticket sales, merch, to packing the equipment, to stage setup, to recording providing content at the show. I know there are big companies that handle all of this, but in terms of assisting smaller/new acts. It isn't all that popular. Then this company will grow with specific bands and they won't even need a label anymore.

It would be ignorant to think that only I've thought of it, and I'm sure it's happening... but it just doesn't seem like it is happening enough around the country.

/rant.. been in a business meeting for 3 hours.

Maybe musicians should be figuring out creative ways to make money besides selling their music

If you can do something well, odds are you will want to get paid for it lol. If you don't do it as well, but still know there are suckers out there, then you will want to get paid for that too. There needs to be change, but free isn't the kind. What lipe mentions make more sense.

One problem I have with the record industry is that the artists see almost no money from record sales. One argument is that a label picks up a band and turns them into something. Well, look at all the music the record labels should have spared us from. Justin Beiber, Nicki Minaj , ect. That have punished us with horrible music more than they have brought great musicians to us.

I really don't have a problem paying for a product I enjoy. What I do have a problem with is paying $10 for a product that costs them almost nothing to distribute. With a CD you get a jewel case and some cool album art to flip through. It also costs them money to manufacture and **** CD's around. In this day and age, bandwidth on the level of .MP3's or .Wav's is almost negligible. It costs more in gas to drive to Walmart and buy a CD than it does to distribute a thousand music files.

The music industry needs to change. They offer us very little and expect us to pay out rear for it. I have about 40 albums(digital and physical) and probably haven't bought one in the last 4 years. Musicians make most of their money from live shows, not album sales, so I'm getting really tired of these record labels saying that record sales are hurting the artists.

Regarding Louis C.K.

he just got $5 from me..nice! both flac and mp3...cuz I'm not sure how to use flac ><

@Holotus, and that program would be called popcorn time..Didn't last too long but it was exactly streaming torrents for movies.

At least you got one right. Music labels need to go away. They want more money because people are buying less music and performers are realizing they don't need them. Music can be published digitally all from the entertainers cheapo website, and they get 100% of the profits. This way only good albums get bought and popularity spreads in the best way - word of mouth. The only entertainers that need publishers are the bad ones.

I like to buy CD's for the better sound quality. Luckily the music I like is older so I can find CD's that are quite inexpensive. New release of newer groups are total rip-offs, this is a big reason I think CD sales are down. Most of the bands I listen to I like their music enough to buy the CD, If you have the disc you can rip and make .flac or .mp3 mixes or whatever you need. I rip them to .wav on my computer, saves having to swap discs and makes making playlists easy. I have no problem buying downloads of music but I don't want mp3's that sound like crap.

Regarding Louis C.K.

he just got $5 from me..nice! both flac and mp3...cuz I'm not sure how to use flac ><
VLC media player will play the flac codec natively, (I'm pretty sure). I think you can deal with it through Nero, and possibly even later iterations of WMP as well. (again not quite sure).

Here are some links to get you started: https://xiph.org/flac/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC

I use WAV loss less for CD rips. (It's there in WMP, and I still buy CDs to rip from). But, since the format is proprietary, you won't find it in 3rd party downloads.

Enter FLAC........, Loreena McKennitt offers it, and Mp3, at her home site.

I think as much quality as you'll get from an Amazon download, is 256k Mp3

Yeah I know, who's Loreena McKennitt?

Back