My Computer Dies in games, Helpzors!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dIsCo_dEaTh

Hey all, I just found this place while I was looking for help in figuring out what in the world is going on with my computer. Not only do I hope to find help here but also to come back as this seems to be a pretty cool forum. Anyway let me describe whats going on and you guys can see if ya can help.

First off I would like to give you the Specs on my Computer:

-AMD Opteron 146 2Ghz socket 940 CPU
-ASUS K8NV Motherboard
-1Gig stick of Corsair Ram
-ATI 9600XT 128MB
- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
- 450W Antec Power Supply
- 250GB Western Digital hard Drive

Besides this I have attached a Directx Diag text file.

So basically this is the problem I am experiencing, I have recently had complete shutdowns while I am playing certian games. The first Game I had a problem with is EvE-Online which I has recently started playing again, after quitting a few months back. When I played it then I experienced no problems whatsoever, and my computer ran the game excellent. With EvE as soon as I load into the game and the server is connected to and I am about to see the graphics and enter the game, BOOM my computer dies, no blue screen of death, no restart, nothing, it just acts like it looses all power. Then I have to unplug the computer and plug it back up in order for it to turn back on. Like I said I have had no problem until just now with the game. Now what is even more weird is World of Warcraft a game I have played on this system for close to a year constantly is now experiencing problems after It first started with EvE. Now when I play WoW once I am about 20 mins into the game it does the same thing to my computer, what is even more weird is that it didnt do this at first when it first started with EvE. When this problem of a total loss of power had arose EvE was the only game effected. Now a few days after that WoW is having the same problem.

I have taken all the steps I know to take, I have re-installed and updated drivers for my Video card, Sound card, Chipset, and windows updates. I have the latest version of DirectX and everything, I have blown all the dust out and made sure everything had a good connection in the case. My CPU dosnt appear to be running hot nor does my Graphics Card. Until recently it was running smoothly. Now BOOM for no reason it is crashing to a dead halt in games. I can leave it on all week when its just sitting at the desktop or whatever, but as soon as I enter a game something is causing it to eventually crash. And now I am at my wits end, any ideas on what to do?
Thanks for your time it is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Techspot!

You say your CPU doesn't appear to be running hot. Have you taken any readings to confirm? Top three suspects I'd say are:

1. Overheating
2. PSU dying on you
3. Ram dying on you

Download and run speedfan and take some temp readings (at full load especially).

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/547-speedfan.html

If your temps are fine, check out what speedfan is reporting for your PSUs volt readings on the various rails and see if one of them is failing on you.

If both those are fine, download and run www.memtest.org to test your ram (let the test run for a few hours (7 passes or so).

Hey thanks for the feedback, I have run Speedfan and according to it the three
VIA SMbus's on my mobo are running hot, two are 126 degrees Celisus and the other 64, would this be the problem? Considering VIA is my chipset I am assuming one of these temps is my CPU, that it wasnt too clear on. I will preform the check on my RAM tonight and see if thats also messed up. If it is in turn my CPU, would you suggest just buying a new heatsink and putting some new thermal paste on it?

-Thanks again.

126 CELCIUS!!??? are you sure that is not 126F? If it is celcius, stand back a few feet from your computer, that baby is about to blow up on you. I highly doubt it is 126celcius... please confirm.

126F is toasty, but nothing that should be shutting down your system.

I wish it were not Celesius but it says "126C" if thats not celesius I dont know what is, but I dont understand what could be making it run so hot and if so why it is not affecting the computer as it runs fine outside of games.

It is possible that your sensors readings are not accurate. Let's get a second opinion. Reboot into your bios and see what temps it is reporting in there.

Allrighty Don, I went into the BIOS and thankfully it gave back at temp of 44C for the CPU and 30C for the Mobo, much better :cool:

Now I suppose if heating isnt the issue, it could be my memory, however I didnt really find a readme on how to read the data the memory tester gives back, Any ideas on that? and if not the memory what else?

Once again thanks for the time.

Great news. Those temps look much better. Just to be safe, fire up a game for a few minutes, then QUICKLY reboot into your bios to get a sense of how hot things are getting at full load as well.

There is no read guide to understanding the ram test error reports. Did you let it run for about 6 or 7 passes? Did it report ANY errors?

Also, what is speedfan reporting your voltages as (on the 3, 5 and 12v rails)?

I just went back and re-read your first post. I am thinking that since your temps are fine, it is your PSU that really is the prime suspect now. Especially since you have to physically unplug it in order to get it to boot up again once it has shut down.

Do you have another PSU you can test in there by chance? Antecs are known to be very reliable, but still, even antec produces a few duds once in a while ;)

Allright, after firing up the game and rebooting into the BIOS not much different CPU only got up too 51C and mobo 33C in what time I had been in game. As far as the me test Yes I let it pass at least 7 if not more cause I left it on while I took care of some stuff, I believe their was a total to 13 passes and 0 errors so an all clear their.

As far as the Voltage read-out it is as follows.

3.3:3.10v
+5v: 5.03v
+12V: 11.61v
-12v: 3.11v

lol I just realized you posted another before I could get my PSU info up, but at the moment I do not, I could probably barrow one from a friend and test it out, I have a PSU tester, but that thing only works 1.2 the time lol. I have a computer in the den which my family uses but it has nowhere near the power I need to power my computer, I think its only a 250.

But like you said PSU dose seem to make sense, I guess when the video card asks for more power, the PSU takes a dump lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back