My computer shut off after using USB, won't restart

I have an HP a6755y.

Last night I plugged in a USB card reader for my camera and the computer shut off.

Since then, I haven't been able to turn it back on.

I tried disconnecting everything, switching outlets, and and even using a different power chord. Nothing works.

The light on the back of the computer is green, yet nothing will turn on.

What is the problem?

Does the fans (i.e. CPU fan / PSU fan etc.) turns when you hit the power button?

Is this the system you have?

How old is this system? Please ensure that there is no dirt on the motherboard.

Are you comfortable about disassembling your system in case the above suggestion doesn't work?

Well to start with, I'll advise you to try to boot this system with minimum hardware.

1. Take out two sticks of RAM, dvd/cd data/power cable, all hard drives etc, and ensure nothing is connected on USB ports except KB/Mouse.

If the computer POST normally, then reconnect one thing at a time and see how things progress from there.

I am assuming here that you have cleaned out the system ensuring there is no dust which may short something

Take motherboard out of the casing, pull out the battery and let it sit there for about an hour or so; then place the battery back in its socket, and repeat the process defined in post # 4 again, if it doesn't work out, probability is something is up with your motherboard.

By the way, don't forget to ensure all connectors are seated properly as JK has rightly pointed out. Regards

Back