My final build on rig, any suggestions?

nukedukem

So I've spent the whole weekend reading reviews and trying to basically get the best bang for my buck. Below is the current set up I hope to be ordering in the next few weeks. Any suggestions on changes to hardware or even if this whole rig is compatible would be much appreciated. I'm a little out of touch with what pairs with what exactly but I'm hoping this will be correct:

GPU: [FONT=Arial]Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Overclocked 2GB[/FONT]
PSU: [FONT=Arial]Corsair TX-650 V2 Power Supply[/FONT]
RAM: [FONT=Arial]G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3[/FONT]
Processor: [FONT=Arial]Intel Core i5 3570K[/FONT]
Processor cooler: [FONT=Arial]CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler[/FONT] (do I need this since the i5 comes with one?)
Storage: [FONT=Arial]Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD Retail Box[/FONT]
Motherboard: [FONT=Arial]ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance Motherboard[/FONT] / [FONT=Arial]ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard[/FONT]
Case: [FONT=Arial]BitFenix Shinobi Black Case[/FONT]

Total: $1200

Monitor: Asus 27 inch - $320

My main concern is the RAM is P67 and the Motherboard is Z77. I take it this is compatible. Also would like to cut out the Cooler but if its drastically quieter then I don't mind the 30 dollars extra.

Also the motherboard could be the [FONT=Arial]ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard[/FONT]. Think its worth the extra 10 dollars for this one over the Fatl1ty one?

650w should be enough for all this?

I will be using this for all the latest games. Any feedback welcome!

My main concern is the RAM is P67 and the Motherboard is Z77. I take it this is compatible. Also would like to cut out the Cooler but if its drastically quieter then I don't mind the 30 dollars extra.
Everything looks good to me. About the P67 labeling, you shouldn't concern yourself to much. The P67 label on RAM is more of a marketing scheme than anything. If you are highly worried about the quality of your RAM pick, you should purchase from the motherboard's quality Vendor list for RAM.

That's a pretty cookie-cutter build you have there.
If I were you however, I'd definitely stick with the Hyper 212, and maybe also add a second fan.
The motherboards you chose are both pretty high-end, and you would probably see little if at all any difference if you went with the ASRock z77 Extreme 4 instead of the Fatal1ty or the Extreme 6.
Save the money and put it toward a nice modular PSU like a HX-650 over the TX series, since the Shinobi cases only really have bare minimum cable management.
That's just nitpicking though :)
Also, make sure you evaluate your SSD space. most people think 60GB is more than enough just for a boot drive, but you'd be surprised how fast they fill up.
also, that's quite a lot you're spending just on a monitor. 27" is actually quite huge, and expensive, so if you don't really need the extra 3 inches of screen real estate, then perhaps downgrade to a 24" or 23" inch and save yourself a few bucks, and put it toward a nice keyboard and mouse.
also, yes, 650W is more than enough for a single-GPU setup.
If you have any further questions please ask away! apart from that, you have a pretty beast rig right there hahaha :D

Thanks for the info. There are 2 ASRock 4 motherboards, [FONT=Arial]ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Motherboard[/FONT] and [FONT=Arial]ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard[/FONT].

Couldn't see what the main difference was between the 2 boards except for price, about 25 dollars difference there it seems. The only thing about the motherboard is, will it still have fast transfer rates? Im more concerned about speed rather than features like a special mouse usb port etc that comes with the upper priced Fatl1ty board.

I know what you mean about storage space, I had major problems before with laptop space so I may get a touch more there.

The difference between those boards is the form factor. one is ATX and the other is M-ATX (Micro-ATX)
the main difference bewteen ATX and M-ATX is just size, and you may not get as many PCI ports.
As for the motherboard, like I said before, you should see little to no difference in gaming and general computing. the Extreme 4 is a very VERY popular board, and for good reason too, it nails the sweetspot: performs like a pretty decent high-end board yet costs not so much.
If I were you I'd definitely go for the Extreme 4.
and if you also downgrade the monitor to say, something like this, you could save a ton, while still getting an awesome screen.
then perhaps put the extra money toward a better case, because such a high end rig doesn't belong in a shinobi.
take a look at some of these sexy cases.

Corsair 500r (comes in a nice white edition too)
Corsair 600t (comes in white and grey aswell. this case is absolutely amazing)
NZXT Phantom 410 (comes in a whole host of other colours, white, red, blue, etc.)
Fractal Design R4 (comes in Grey as well)
Bitfenix Raider
Antec Eleven hundred
Coolermaster CM 690 II (comes in White too)

Really liking the Corsair cases, I'm trying to keep the weight down as well because I plan on shipping it back home at some stage. The 600t is a little heavy (looks great though) but the 500r is around 8kg which isn't too bad. The case was always a grey area for me as its a little overwhelming with the choice out there. I like the minimilist design of those Corsair though.

I'm sold on the M-ATX, the only PCI card I have in there is a wireless network card. Maybe a sound card down the line but thats unlikely.

Also I'm considering the 24 inch, I might take a look in the shops in person and see what it would be like in front of one.

So far, changed motherboard, case, SSD drive and monitor! Might tweak these more on the day :D

One thing about the M-ATX is in the future I plan on maybe getting a second GTX670 for SLI. Will the M-ATX be able to fit these?

Well sir, I believe I have an answer to both your case and SLI dilemma.
This case is arguably the most popular M-ATX case at the moment, and for good reason. It's solid, got a nice minimalistic design, great airflow and cooling, cable management, compact, and portable. The Silverstone TJ08-E.
plus, it's cheap. only $99 bucks :D
as for SLI, the ASRock 970 Extreme 4-M supports both Crossfire and SLI so you should have no issues adding a second or even third card.
HOWEVER if you do choose to SLI you will need to upgrade your PSU to around 700-750W.
perhaps this one. costs the same as a HX-650 and has great reviews. It's modular, quiet, and 80+ Bronze, so you know it's gonna be efficient. Plus, it's by coolermaster so you can expect some pretty solid quality.
also, If it helps, I have a 21.5" monitor and it's quite positively large. I sit around 60 cm away from the screen and I have no problem reading or playing games, it looks absolutely amazing.
Also, make sure you use a DVI cable. VGA sucks.

Thanks for the good info. Going to check out costs at my local post office. See how limited I can be with the case. Definitley going with the 24 inch. Saw some youtube videos and it looks nice and big. Coming from a 13 inch laptop it should be fine :D

Dude! same!
I was using some crappy 13 inch school laptop up until a month ago when I built my rig. Australian schools laptop program hah.
anyway trust me, anything above 20" is going to be a huge step up.
Also I used PCCG a couple times but there are other stores around that may be cheaper.
I.e.
www.MSY.com.au
www.umart.com.au
www.scorptech.com.au

shoot me any more questions if you have any :D

I did a similar (?) build recently, at least in processor choice. <G>

I went with the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard (at the same price point)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545

I also chose the AX series for my psu. A little more, but I like the specs.

I find the stock cpu cooler to be very quiet.
I am not yet overclocking, so I do not have any answers on that front.

I went with a Silverstone Fortress 2 case. (quite different!)

Not sure your memory choice is a match for the gigabyte board. If interested, I can post my full specs.

Love my Samsung SSD! (WOW!) (I went for a larger drive, but...)

I'll be adding more equipment later (GPU, etc)

Back