My PC seems to hang very often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

This is my first post ever. This is the best computer forum and resouce that i have seen.

I have a question about my pc. My pc seems to hang very often. I monitor the task processes, i see the CPU is 100 percent most of the time. any application i start, the cpu is showing 100%. (e.g windows explorer, internet explorer...). My harddrive makes a lot of clicking sound at the same time. My friend told me that my pc hangs because there is a bad sector on my hard drive. Is this true? I did try to defrag my hard drive, but it is still freezing. This problem seems to hang randomly. I used CA anti virus to scan my system and i found nothing. I unintalled mostly my softwares and it still hangs. Could somebody help me with this. Is there anything else i can do besides formatting my drive.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Neo Nguyen

Have you tried the CHKDSK utility?

Go to start>run>chkdsk

or start>run>command>/chkdsk C:

edit: okay, so I ran chkdsk just to see if I got the command prompt right, now its deleting random files on my hard drive

...crap

What does it do

Hi foozy,

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, what is check disk? What does it do? I will try that.

Thanks

NeoNguyen

I ran CHKDSK and my system still hangs

I ran CHKDSK it didn't help.

I install a brandnew harddrive with xp sp2 and it still hangs. This makes me think it must be a hardware problem. I checked system divices and there is no conflicts(no exclamatory mark!). Please help me. Thanks.

neonguyen said:
My harddrive makes a lot of clicking sound at the same time. My friend told me that my pc hangs because there is a bad sector on my hard drive. Is this true?
Download a drive diagnostic tool as soon as possible. Hard drives should never click, ever. When they do they are dead or dying. If I'm right, yes you likely do have bad sectors, but they themselves are not the true source of the problem. If you fail any of the hard drive tests backup whatever you can immediately and RMA the drive or throw it out if you can't RMA it.

Drive Diagnostic Utilities Compendium

adaware is awesome for spyware protection, avast is a sweet virus protector which i suggest u use as it has an important feature. ITS FREE. get both do a thorough scan

System still hangs after formatting c drive

Hi everyone,

Please help me..

My pc hangs. I have tried everything and i came to a point that i decided to format my hard drive. After i reinstalled windows xp and tried to run the basic programs that came with xp. I noticed the system runs better but it still hangs once in a while. I even put a brandnew hard drive in and it still hangs. So i am convinced that it is a hardware problem. I open my pc and dust off my cpu fan and heatsink. I unplugged ram and replugged my DRAM sticks. I try to run my system and it still hangs. Could anyone help me what is the cause of this. Could it be my motherboard or power supply...

Please help. Thank you very much.

neonguyen

It would have been better to keep this in the other thread.
But maybe you'll be lucky and a mod will just merge the threads..

You say you've installed a new harddrive, did you disconnect the old drive? If not, that could still be the cause of the problem.

The fact that you manage to get windows up and running makes it doubtful that the motherboard is at fault...

yes i disconnect the old drive

I run the old drive alone(the other drive disconnected) after reformatting it and i also run the new drive alone(the other drive disconnected). Both ways hang my pc. You said it could be my mobo. Can it be fixed. Thanks for your reply.

neonguyen

Are you using the same cable, or different cables? Sometimes a cable can get a weak connection somewhere, creating problems where the computer hangs waiting for the harddrive, and the harddrive belives it has already sent the data successfully.

Or, as Tmagic650 says, if you have the possibility, you could try using another IDE controller and see if that works. Buying one could be a tad expensive, especially since we don't know if the IDE controller is at fault, but if you could borrow one from somewhere, it's worth a shot.

Also, Gars commented that it could be a power problem. Do you have a lot of devices connected to your pc? (cd/dvd-roms, a very power hungry gpu, or suchlike)
This could cause your psu to give out insufficient power during high usage, and thus make your pc hang until either power demand is decreased or met.

hi everyone... this is my first post and sad to say i have somehow the same problems as they have..

My computer rans good before i removed and cleaned all the things... It started when I booted my CPU after removing and cleaning.. I've already checked the connections and hardware devices but still it hangs once every 6 to 8 secs. Even when I played music files it sometime lag...

So if you could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

bad ide/sata cables, great idea.. could be a problem, tho i never heard of defective bad ide/sata cables before. bad ram, mobo or a problem with the psu are also culprits for freezes, especially after a format. Is there another psu available for you to test with? Have you tried memtest to test to see if a stick of ram is defective?

Malditohon: please create a new thread for your issues rather than piggy-back some
thread from 2007 :)

hi to all,

my first reply.

i've got the same problem as 'neonguyen'.

I'm going to try the 'suggested solution replies' and update you guys what will happen.

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back