My PC turns off suddenly, PSU seems ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphmex

Hello, hope anyone can help me, my PC is shutting off often, i was thinking it was my PSU, i buy a new one, and the problem persists. I checked out my house voltage to see if it was under or upper limits but it seems ok and constant.

No excess heat seems to be going on the PC, in fact sometimes but not always the shut off comes right after i turn the PC on.
It is just as if i pull out the power cord. No specific program, software or situation seems to be causing the failure.

It just shuts off, no restarting.

Thanks a lot.

My specs:

Pentium D 3.4
1 MB Ram.
ATI X1300 AGP Videocard.
ASUS P5VDC-MX Mobo.
500W PSU.
80 GB HDD1, 40 GB HDD2.
DVD / CD Writer Recorder, etc.

Have you checked for spyware and virus? Run your anti-virus on full scan. Use the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet.

The CPU temperature seems to be very high!!!

Hi Tedster, i checked the CPU temperature at BIOS when i start the PC, this is the status right after i turn it on:

CPU Temp: 75 C.
MB Temp: 29 C.
CPU Fan speed: 3276 rpm.
VCore Volt: 1.216 V.
3.3V Voltage: 3.32 V.
5V Voltage: 5.107 V.
12V Voltage: 12.032 V.
Q-Fan: Disabled.

This are the readings just a minute or two later (without even going to Windows yet):

CPU Temp: 93 C, 199 F.
MB Temp: 38 C, 100 F.
CPU Fan speed: 3276 rpm.
VCore Volt: 1.216 V.
3.3V Voltage: 3.32 V.
5V Voltage: 5.107 V.
12V Voltage: 12.032 V.
Q-Fan: Disabled.

And then the PC just shuts off.

Are these temperatures very high? if so, what could be happening, i don`t have it overclocked or something, and in the room the temperature is not so high, it is hot, but acceptable.

I couldnt even test the Ram Mem test, because the PC shuts off first.
Please help me!

Thanks
Ralph.

Your cpu is way too hot! Mine runs @ 110 (F). You should check your fan. Make sure it's working as it should. A machine I was working on a few weeks ago had a very loose fan. The cpu would overheat and then the pc would shutdown (sound familiar?) Try removing the fan and reseat your processor with thermal grease and get that fan down tight. If you download "PC Wizard", when you bring it up to your desktop, minimize it to your taskbar. The relevent temps. will be displayed on ypur desktop in realtime.

Problem solved

I found that the heatsink wasn´t properly seated, it was loose, so it didn´t made good contact with CPU surface.
Now it is running cool!

Thanks guys for all.

Ralphmex.

Ralphmex said:
I found that the heatsink wasn´t properly seated, it was loose, so it didn´t made good contact with CPU surface.
Now it is running cool!

Thanks guys for all.

Ralphmex.

I think it's more than just the heatsink not being seated properly. I think the CPU temp sensor is defective. The temps it's reporting are just *WAY* to high! I had a similar problem once when I installed a new, faster fan, the temp sensor readings were skewed way too high when in fact they should have been lower!

I don't trust these cheap MoBo temp sensors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back