My pc wont completely boot up

I got a new case, CiT spectre (white) and a new motherboard, gigabyte 797P-D3 I seem to have plugged everything in properly but when I press the on button the lights come up and the fans turn on for a fraction of a second, then it all turns off. I've tried fiddling around with it but nothing wants to respond.

If it were my problem, I would remove motherboard from case and put it on a non-conductive surface like a pile of newspaper. Then, I would put the build together (just 1 stick of RAM and CPU with heatsink) and see if it works outside of case. One time the issue was that I had not fully connected the cable to the PSU. Another time, I had not seated the CPU fully. Yet another time, I had 'lost a screw' behind the motherboard and it was shorting something. Another time, I had gotten the heatsink on wrong (so the CPU got hot and shut down quick). Looking back over the last 30 years of builds, I have messed up a lot. Hope this helps. Just go one step at a time through the installation instructions and it should sort out..

Just remembered another.. somehow a small metal clipping (probably during manufacturing) got down in a memory slot - took me forever to find it - had to turn mother board upside down and tap it on the desk before it came out.

Last edited:
Your issue could be DOA RAM, or what Cycloid Torus said about CPU or PSU not inserted properly or not all the way. You also want to make sure that your front panel connectors like power, reset and HDD/power LEDs are in there appropriate pins. If your Reset Switch is on the wrong pin, then it could be resetting the PC as soon as you start it

Back