My quick Dell U2711 review

UT66

well not a review, per se, im going to share just a few pictures ( my camera , English, and the lighting conditions are kinda bad btw) and comments of my experience with the monitor. Basically? The u2711 is the best lcd i ever had. I can't find a single thing to complain about, frankly i didn't expect this kind of flawless performance, specially in games ( i have and old and rather modest setup : E6600 + 4770) The scaling is really effective, yes it looks "softer" without the native resolution but the final result is not unpleasant at all, is actually quite satisfactory , a few examples

1920x1080... (barely any difference? maybe a tiny bit of aliasing in the background )

2vue9tg.jpg

2560x1440... (native)

168625e.jpg

next movies

other positive points: 1) noticed no input lag, and absolutely no ghosting in games. This monitor is FAST 2) The viewing angles, and contrast ratio: phenomenal. Movie performance? Also great, no backlight bleed nor dead pixels in my unit. a few pictures: btw in this sets the brightness level is set at 0! (default es 50 )

well as you can see im really happy with my purchase, and trust me im not easy to please, this monitor is just that great. if you have the chance, buy it. you are not going to regret it! ( lol, you might have to upgrade your entire pc later, or go with the low res route like me, either way it is totally worth it)

Does it have the same problem as my 3008WFP, takes time to "warm-up" when switched on?

And why buy a High-res 27", just to set it to low-res? Could have saved ur money and bought a 27" 1080p monitor....

Does it have the same problem as my 3008WFP, takes time to "warm-up" when switched on?
All fluorescent lighting takes warm up time to come to full brilliance and proper color balance. If it doesn't, I'm thinking the manufacturers might be overvolting it to impress you.

And why buy a High-res 27", just to set it to low-res? Could have saved ur money and bought a 27" 1080p monitor....
1080p is, (IMO) worthless for anything other than watching movies. I like the old 16:10 computer aspect ratio. (1920 X1200) This is much better for photographic purposes. 16:9 monitors do a poor job of presenting photos in the "portrait orientation", they're just too danged short. This 27" Dell is 16:9, and while its sheer size partly compensates for the reduced height, older IPS Dell pro offerings were 16:10.

All that being said, I'm about to spring for one of these budget Dell IPS monitors; http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packa...1_17?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285302843&sr=8-17

Although it's 1080P, I'll hook it to its own desktop, and run it permanently in the vertical orientation. That solves the display height issue for vertical photos. Also note that for a vertical display, it's almost a must that the monitor be IPS, MVA, or PVA, since the viewing angle of TN is even worse in vertical, that it is in horizontal.

With all that said, congratulations on your purchase. These IPS panel will render human skin looking like human skin, which it something that TN panel technology doesn't. Best of luck with it.

Does it have the same problem as my 3008WFP, takes time to "warm-up" when switched on? no.

I think i made the right choice. And i also saved a lot of money, trust me. But to answer your question, many reasons. Im using the native resolution and this monitor is excellent for watching movies, graphics work, design. And like i said even gaming, ( and i can still play a few games at native res) but if thats not an option, the scaler does an outstanding job, so no reason to complain.

captaincranky, thanks! , the hp is a great monitor, the U2211H and U2311H are also good options to consider in that price range. You cant go wrong with a good ips panel

Just to update this discussion, I purchased a Dell U221H on Tuesday. I should have the little devil in the morning, (Friday). You actually reminded me they had these, I had also been looking at their U2209WA, it's my beloved 16:10, but a bunch more money.

I'm thinking that these are probably the same LG panel as the HP ZR22H. Anyway, I missed Amazon's sale on the Hewlett panel, (was $250 now $270), and Dell was selling theirs at $249.00, (down from $279.00). Managed to get free shipping, but they wouldn't budge on the PA sales tax.

Dell is claiming theirs is brighter, (250cm2, vs only 210cm2 on the HP), with only a 22 watt max power draw. (?)

And no, you can't beat IPS panel tech, but the MVA and PVA panels come close. Nobody seems to be making them anymore. (?)

Something that's really disturbing, consumer TVs are now mostly TN panels in sizes 27" and below. Ouch! See for yourself, take a walk through Walmart. All you have to do is duck down in front of the suspected TV, it'll go into negative right before your very eyes.

the U221H is a great monitor, and its also packed with lots of value: DVI-D with hdcp, displayport, usb, full adjustment on the base and least but definitively not last > ips panel, 178° angles and 1000:1 contrast. you cant really beat that. Congratulations on yr purchase, btw post a few pics when you get it! ;P

here is a pic of my Dell U2410, its the best $380 i ever spent.
Dell_U2410.jpg

this is my new Dell U2410 24" monitor with my very old 20" Acer on the left with all my steam games on it. The Dell U2410 is 1920x1200 while the Acer is 1680x1050.

16:10 Wide... just love that aspect ratio, also im starting to "miss" normal resolutions .. whats your revision, any issues with your unit? that looks perfect, great buy!

how did you get that bright pixel?... was it there to begin with or it manifested with time?

I have a question here. Was the U2410 bought recently, and did you buy it new? The reason I ask is, Dell will replace one of its "Ultra Sharp" monitors, with only one bright pixel, and the warranty period is three years. (It takes 6 if they're stuck on dark).

i bought it new last month on ebay, i called Dell to see if i still get the three year warranty and they said yes. The bright pixel was there to begin with but i don't notice it until im 6" infront of it. Other than the bright pixel its perfect.

Back