mystery windows files that wont delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the 411:

I got a folder that's being a royal pain in the, ahem, maximus BUTTimus!

The directory under which this troublesome folder is located is as follows:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Zhou Yi\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

Ok, now I check the size of the folder and it says that its over 1GB in size, even after I delete everything! Well, theres one file that doesn't get deleted: "skyscraper.js" but its only 1 Kb in size.

Now when I look at the Temporary Internet Files properties, windows says that it contains 5 sub-directories and over 500 files. WHERE??? I can't seem to find them, even after changing all the folder viewing options, I still can't see them.

I try to delete the folder itself but windows says its a "windows system folder" and cannot be deleted.

I just want to get rid of this folder, or at least find out what these mystery files are. Anyone got some suggestions? Maybe a virus or worm or another one of those annoying things. HELP HELP HELP

have tried using the settings in internet explorer to delete all temporary internet files? might help

tried that, didn't work. you think maybe that i have a virus that's hiding the files from me? or maybe just a windows error? is there a command maybe in dos that i can use to directly delete the file?

I suggest you install Total Commander.
Then, when you start it, go into its "Configuration" menu, and select "Options..." In the Configuration window, select the "Display" page, and make sure that the "Show hidden/system files (for experts only!)" option is selected (you have just become an expert ;) ). Hit OK and then use the main Total Commander window to navigate into the "Temporary Internet Files" directory.
You will be surprised at what you find there!
Total Commander will let you delete the contents, too (except for a few files, like "index.dat" that Windows keeps locked).

"Temporary Internet Files" folder cannot be emptied

Hello From Antwerp, well... Am now in Mexico.

Have the same problem. Is the "Total Commander" safe, I mean : no spyware attached etc?

Have another weird problem : now and than, the "spacebar, backspace and enter" keys won't work. Now they do, but that may change soon. Have the problem since a few days. Almost sure it is not a hardware problem.

zhou yi said:
Here's the 411:

I got a folder that's being a royal pain in the, ahem, maximus BUTTimus!

The directory under which this troublesome folder is located is as follows:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Zhou Yi\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

Ok, now I check the size of the folder and it says that its over 1GB in size, even after I delete everything! Well, theres one file that doesn't get deleted: "skyscraper.js" but its only 1 Kb in size.

Now when I look at the Temporary Internet Files properties, windows says that it contains 5 sub-directories and over 500 files. WHERE??? I can't seem to find them, even after changing all the folder viewing options, I still can't see them.

I try to delete the folder itself but windows says its a "windows system folder" and cannot be deleted.

I just want to get rid of this folder, or at least find out what these mystery files are. Anyone got some suggestions? Maybe a virus or worm or another one of those annoying things. HELP HELP HELP

I can not think of any Essential Windows system file that lives in your Temp Internet File folder.
a .js is a Script file extension, these can be essential for the proper execution of your system/programs , or they can be very BAD.
I suggest doing a google on that file name to see if you can track it's source or function before you delete it .
If you find it is bad or at least unneccessary, Try to delete it in safe mode. Also I use a free excellent program called Eraser(no ads etc.) that will completely clean the file from your HD ( keep in mind there is no recovery when you eliminate a file with a program of this type) .Windows delete does not really delete anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back