NASA captures image of bizarre, perfectly rectangular iceberg

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! NASA has released an image showing an iceberg in Antarctica that appears so rectangular and flat, it looks purposely cut into shape. But alien conspiracy fans will be disappointed to learn that it’s a naturally occurring phenomenon.

The image was taken as part of NASA’s Operation Icebridge, which involves photographing Earth’s polar ice to better understand connections between polar regions and the global climate system.

Although it's often said that there are no straight lines or perfect 90-degree angles in nature, they do happen, albeit rarely. While most of us think of icebergs as pointy chunks of ice with their spires sticking out of the water, these tabular icebergs are quite different.

As the picture shows, tabular icebergs are large slabs of ice with nearly vertical sides and flat tops. They’re usually formed when breaking off from ice shelves; in this case, it likely came from the deteriorating Larsen C—the same shelf that saw a 2,200 square-mile, trillion-ton iceberg break away last year.

“We get two types of icebergs: We get the type that everyone can envision in their head that sank the Titanic, and they look like prisms or triangles at the surface and you know they have a crazy subsurface. And then you have what are called ‘tabular icebergs.'” Kelly Brunt, an ice scientist with NASA and the University of Maryland, told Live Science.

As the sea and wind haven’t eroded the iceberg’s clean edges, it’s thought that it must have cleaved away only recently. The berg is estimated to be more than one mile across and, like all icebergs, just 10 percent of its mass is visible above the surface.

Permalink to story.

Always a good phenomenon to point out to creationists who harp on about the chances of things happening in nature. But it looks designed! There is higher intelligence at work! Etc.

No, they don't happen like this that often. That doesn't mean it can never happen.

Last edited:
Always a good phenomenon to point out to creationists who harp on about the chances of things happening in nature. But it looks designed! There is higher intelligence at work! Etc.

No, they don't happen like this that often. That doesn't mean it can never happen.
Same thing with Rogue Waves. They happen rarely, but that does not mean that the hand of creation swept through the water to unleash a terrible deluge. :D

Same thing with Rogue Waves. They happen rarely, but that does not mean that the hand of creation swept through the water to unleash a terrible deluge. :D

Well apart from this evidence for strange shaped icebergs but absolutely none found whatsoever supporting the fable of a global flood.

Why does the photograph only show part of the ice chunk? I call BS on this being naturally occurring, especially if all six sides are equally sized. We can't tell though because the whole thing isn't photographed. I checked NASA's site briefly and couldn't even find this photo there. Something smells fishy here... Is it April 1st already?

Last edited:
Whoever you are. Wherever you're from. We're not impressed!

Just because you have a weapon that can slice through a glacier as if it were a wedding cake, doesn't mean we're just gonna surrender! No sir-ee! It's Earth you're dealing with here! We have lasers, too, you know. And our leader is orange, and really belligerent!

Man oh man!That sucker would make a Lot of iceberg RUM! Newfoundland style..
so dense it takes way longer to melt than your tray ice cubes.we harvest sea ice here.for just those purposes.

Tow it somewhere where they need the fresh water.

Why does the photograph only show part of the ice chunk? I call BS on this being naturally occurring, especially if all six sides are equally sized. We can't tell though because the whole thing isn't photographed. I checked NASA's site briefly and couldn't even find this photo there. Something smells fishy here... Is it April 1st already?
:neutral: Have a look at this. I did not find it all that hard to find.
https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/...lar-icebergs-spotted-on-nasa-icebridge-flight
As far as it not showing the whole thing, the photo was shot from an airplane. There's two photos here as there were two ice bergs found. The second photo is the photo in the TS article.
Well apart from this evidence for strange shaped icebergs but absolutely none found whatsoever supporting the fable of a global flood.
Many different cultures have fables of deluges. If you think about those fables, their world was their territory. Therefore, anything that would have destroyed their territory effectively destroyed their world.

Two examples come to mind: One from native tribes in Ontario, Canada - for which science thinks they found fossil evidence from maybe 14,000 years ago - IIRC, and one from the Mediterranean area where there appears also to be fossil evidence, from perhaps 20,000 years ago - IIRC.

Fossil evidence of a deluge on a global scale, though, in the time frame of humanity's reign, no.

Last edited:
No way. Governments aren't even vaguely that competent, especially when attempting to work together.
Especially the US government right now. "Climate Change" has been scrubbed from many if not all it's web sites. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ites-climate-change-survive-trump-era-n891806
Science is even a bad word in the US government these days. It is almost surprising to me that NASA, itself, has not been banned.
Strangely they seem to want to fund NASA more, or at least give them more attention(plus space force). Congress at least dished out massive amounts of money to science, including NASA, on the two year spending bill. Most of the organizations saw there highest budgets since pre-recession.

:neutral: Have a look at this. I did not find it all that hard to find.
https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/...lar-icebergs-spotted-on-nasa-icebridge-flight
As far as it not showing the whole thing, the photo was shot from an airplane. There's two photos here as there were two ice bergs found. The second photo is the photo in the TS article.
Many different cultures have fables of deluges. If you think about those fables, their world was their territory. Therefore, anything that would have destroyed their territory effectively destroyed their world.

Two examples come to mind: One from native tribes in Ontario, Canada - for which science thinks they found fossil evidence from maybe 14,000 years ago - IIRC, and one from the Mediterranean area where there appears also to be fossil evidence, from perhaps 20,000 years ago - IIRC.

Fossil evidence of a deluge on a global scale, though, in the time frame of humanity's reign, no.

There are a lot of recent findings that suggest a serious of fast, large-scale flooding events occurred in several places around the globe between 12,000 and 8000 years ago. If those events turn out to have been connected, perhaps via a series of geological upheavals, then its quite possible they happened within a single human lifetime. There's little doubt that stories would have been passed on..we already know that human oral history goes back at least 6000 years and there's no reason to think it couldn't be much older. That practice was very important to ancient man.

I've been waiting for the Elon Musk tweet announcing his new venture to deliver fresh water to all drought plagued areas of the planet, eventually Mars even!

Back