NASA plans to mine the Moon within the next decade as part of the Artemis program

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: NASA officials recently outlined preliminary plans to start mining the Moon within the next 10 years. The side project will be part of NASA's larger Artemis space program, which in part aims to return Americans to the Moon by 2025, among other objectives such as exploring commercial opportunities in space and quantifying potential lunar resources.

Gerald Sanders, a 35 year NASA veteran, said developing access to resources on our natural satellite is a critical step in cutting costs and creating a circular economy. Investing in the exploration phase to better understand available resources reduces overall risk to potential investors and increases the likelihood of external investments.

NASA will soon send a drilling rig to the Moon to get the ball rolling, and the Australian Space Agency is also helping to develop a semi-autonomous rover to collect regolith samples on the lunar surface by 2026. Additionally, larger-scale excavation is planned, including a pilot processing plant set to go online in 2032.

Samuel Webster, an assistant director at NASA, stated the rover aims to demonstrate the presence of oxygen in lunar soil in the form of oxides. Separate equipment will be used to extract oxygen from the soil, Webster added.

NASA hopes that, eventually, larger companies such as commercial rocket makers will be able to use resources mined from the Moon for fuel or for life support systems. This would bring us closer to establishing a sustainable human presence on the Moon and support future missions to Mars and beyond.

Related reading: To survive on the Moon or Mars, humans will need photoelectrochemical devices

It has been more than five decades since the last human set foot on the surface of the Moon, and NASA intends to change that in the coming years. The space agency formally introduced its Artemis program in 2017, headlined by a plan to land the first woman and the first person of color on the Moon by 2025.

Image credit: Astronaut by Pixabay, Rocket launch by SpaceX

Permalink to story.

Personally I don't think we should mine our only natural satellite that controls the seas, weather and even has influence on animals and humans.
“Controls” is a strong word.

Also, you realize the amount of mass we would have to remove from the moon (not just move to a different part of the moon) to effect its gravitational pull is, well, massive, right?

Last edited:
And who entitled NASA to mine the moon?

I think the article comes off as if NASA would be strip mining the moon so I see what your saying. The article doesn't make it clear but the oxygen mined would be for use on the moon. That certainly has a bit different optics.

It would not be cost effective to mine oxygen for transport back to Earth. Way easier to get oxygen from electrolysis on Earth and it's limitless supply of water.

.IMO, its about time that humanity started to look elsewhere for its raw materials.
Perhaps, but I hesitate to even imagine what the cost per pound of, "moon copper", "moon aluminum", or, moon lithium", might be back here on earth..

It would not be cost effective to mine oxygen for transport back to Earth. Way easier to get oxygen from electrolysis on Earth and it's limitless supply of water.
True. Perhaps that would even offset the rise of sea levels in response to global warming. The rising temperatures and freakish storms would still be present, as well as mass extinctions. But to the upside, we'd have plenty of bottled oxygen to offset atmospheric pollutants..

I think the article comes off as if NASA would be strip mining the moon so I see what your saying. The article doesn't make it clear but the oxygen mined would be for use on the moon. That certainly has a bit different optics.
Perhaps. But "strip mining" a lifeless environment, surely doesn't carry the same negative consequences that it does here on earth. What with our plants and animals and such , being buried in millions of toms of detritus from the process.

Mining on the Moon with remote machines, maybe...But since the last human visit there if it was something of real value there I'm sure by now it was consumed. There are many challenges there but moving mining equipment from here to there will be the real issue. Also power and maintenance. I don't know NASA's cost for moving 1kg from Earth too Moon, but I'm sure mining equipment it's not light.

What if. What if there is nothing to mine except rocks? Are they gonna admi it?
Not to mention the weight of professional drilling and excavating equipment that would make it possible to efficiently mine the moon.

Mining on the Moon with remote machines, maybe...But since the last human visit there if it was something of real value there I'm sure by now it was consumed. There are many challenges there but moving mining equipment from here to there will be the real issue. Also power and maintenance. I don't know NASA's cost for moving 1kg from Earth too Moon, but I'm sure mining equipment it's not light.
I am guessing explosives.

I am guessing explosives.
At Moon's gravity most of the minerals will go in Space from an explosion. And I'm not sure the heavy machines here like:
original.jpg

Will be so heavy there and not bounce from here to there without anchors.

Perhaps, but I hesitate to even imagine what the cost per pound of, "moon copper", "moon aluminum", or, moon lithium", might be back here on earth..
It will be interesting to see how it pans out. (Pun intended).

But, I'm sure Musky and his Muskonauts will swoop-in to say "we can do it cheaper". 🤣

What if. What if there is nothing to mine except rocks? Are they gonna admi it?
Not to mention the weight of professional drilling and excavating equipment that would make it possible to efficiently mine the moon.
Perhaps you think so, but NASA is not quite that dumb. They have known Lunar composition for decades.

At Moon's gravity most of the minerals will go in Space from an explosion. And I'm not sure the heavy machines here like:
original.jpg

That particular piece of equipment is a bit large to easily transport to the moon.

Personally I don't think we should mine our only natural satellite that controls the seas, weather and even has influence on animals and humans.
I know right? It really screws with my behavior...In fact, it's 2 days before the full moon, and here I am, posting at Techspot.

I always held that the waxing gibbous 3 days before the full moon has the most dire effect on those who are susceptible to erratic behaviors. They seemed to have burned themselves out, ranting and raving, by the time it reaches true full status.

Last edited:
Interesting point. For machines with jackhammer type motions, the bases may have to be five times as heavy to make any headway.

I don't think that beast you have pictured will do a lot of bouncing. But hey, never say never.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how it pans out. (Pun intended).
I was going to make this a multiple choice response. But, my inherent laziness took over and this > :rolleyes: < will have to suffice.
But, I'm sure Musky and his Muskonauts will swoop-in to say "we can do it cheaper". 🤣
Speaking of his most self exulted Muskship, shouldn't he be out collecting cow farts to fuel his Starship, instead of concentrating on destroying Twitter for any sane and decent person who still might have the courage to attempt using it?

In the meantime, I'm still struggling to understand why the ;rofl; emoji is so controversial or rude that staff has blocked its display. :confused:

While the abundance of minerals on the moon may be great, considering the cost to mine them and bring them back to earth is sizeable and a profit margin could be very slim ......

I was going to make this a multiple choice response. But, my inherent laziness took over and this > :rolleyes: < will have to suffice.
I think TS ought to add a "Groan" emoji as this might have been more appropriate for you. ;)
Speaking of his most self exulted Muskship, shouldn't he be out collecting cow farts to fuel his Starship, instead of concentrating on destroying Twitter for any sane and decent person who still might have the courage to attempt using it?
Musk is probably having more fun destroying Twitter, but with Musk, you never know.
In the meantime, I'm still struggling to understand why the ;rofl; emoji is so controversial or rude that staff has blocked its display. :confused:
I see the error. Try replacing the beginning ";" and the ending ";" with ":" and you'll be all set. For example, 🤣 All the "verbal" emojis use the ":" character for delineation.

Back