NASA's DART mission left a trail of small boulders in its wake

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
Why it matters: Scientists are continuing their investigation into the aftermath of the DART collision with Dimorphos, which successfully changed the orbit of the small celestial object. Having confirmed humanity's capability to deflect potentially hazardous targets with sufficient anticipation and resources, researchers are now studying the specific effects of the DART impact on the asteroid.

Another study on the DART mission was recently published in The Astrophysical Journal Letters. The study examined deep space images captured by the Hubble Space Telescope, focusing on the ejecta produced from the DART spacecraft's impact into asteroid Dimorphos. This impact resulted in the release of a long tail of clearly visible debris, which, as previous studies indicated, played a significant role in achieving higher-than-expected deflecting results.

The images taken by Hubble have now unveiled an "extensive population" of comoving boulders orbiting the dual asteroid system. The largest boulder measures around 7 meters in diameter and is estimated to have a geometric albedo of 0.15. Hubble identified a total of 37 distinct boulders, with their combined mass amounting to approximately 0.1 percent of Dimorphos' mass before the impact.

The boulders are orbiting Dimorphos and the larger asteroid Didymos at a speed that's "slightly larger" than the system's overall gravitational escape velocity. As a result, they will eventually depart the asteroids and head into outer space. To observe the roughly 40 orbiting boulders, scientists had to capture multiple long-exposure images of the tail-like phenomenon left by the impact. They later combined these images to filter out noise.

Furthermore, the researchers were able to confirm that Dimorphos is a conglomerate of rubber and rocks held together by gravitational attraction. Upon shattering on the asteroid's surface, the DART probe "freed" some of those rocks from the asteroid's gravity due to the sheer kinetic force of the impact, rather than ejecting large piles of material.

The study estimates that the 40 liberated boulders covered approximately two percent of the entire asteroid's surface, which aligns with a crater measuring 50 meters across. Dimorphos' surface is likely highly porous, limiting the seismic energy generated by DART from penetrating deeply into the asteroid's interior.

Studying an asteroid impact from a distance can be a challenging speculative exercise, but the DART mission will soon have some closer confirmations thanks to the HERA mission by the European Space Agency. The probe is scheduled to launch in October 2024, and it will commence orbiting the dual-asteroid system in 2026.

Permalink to story.

I guess Dart is not going to be the answer when trying to deflect that type of asteroid.

I guess Dart is not going to be the answer when trying to deflect that type of asteroid.

"This impact resulted in the release of a long tail of clearly visible debris, which, as previous studies indicated, played a significant role in achieving higher-than-expected deflecting results."

This is totally the right answer because it worked even better than hoped. A few boulders creating a few bolides is way better than getting hit with a giant shoddy rubble pile full of used pinball machine parts.

"This impact resulted in the release of a long tail of clearly visible debris, which, as previous studies indicated, played a significant role in achieving higher-than-expected deflecting results."

This is totally the right answer because it worked even better than hoped. A few boulders creating a few bolides is way better than getting hit with a giant shoddy rubble pile full of used pinball machine parts.
If the orbit desired is not achieved and you end up getting pummeled with all the extra chunks created? I'm not so sure I agree. It would not be the first time that humanity has had the best intents, but ended up paving the road to hell.

Seems to me that a better answer would be to land a craft on the surface, then fire its engine to push the asteroid to a different orbit - rather than crashing into an asteroid and creating more debris. Its not a Hollywood action flick. Its an asteroid.

If the orbit desired is not achieved and you end up getting pummeled with all the extra chunks created? I'm not so sure I agree. It would not be the first time that humanity has had the best intents, but ended up paving the road to hell.

The largest boulder is 7m.

"Space rocks smaller than about 25 meters (about 82 feet) will most likely burn up as they enter the Earth's atmosphere and cause little or no damage."

Seems to me that a better answer would be to land a craft on the surface, then fire its engine to push the asteroid to a different orbit - rather than crashing into an asteroid and creating more debris. Its not a Hollywood action flick. Its an asteroid.

Hard to land on the surface of a rubble pile, you may just sink in and not be able to orient your craft/engine properly. And once you start your propulsion, those problems recur. Not to mention that these are all rotating so that will screw with trying to deflect in a single direction.

I'm not so sure that a soft landing (waste of propellant/force for landing), and then running an engine as your force to move the object is as efficient as knocking it with all the accumulated force of the already-burnt propellant used to accelerate the craft to it's impact point.

This was the first experiment, more to follow. Crashing additional ones should allow enough predictability to move an object as much or little as needed.

You won't get "pummeled with all the extra chunks", because the entire thing (along with all the smaller things gravitational tied to it) were deflected and it wont come into contact with you at all. That's the point.

Back