NBA 2K24's PC version yet again lacks next-gen console features

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: The last three PC editions of NBA 2K have been lackluster compared to consoles, which have received graphical enhancements and new gameplay features. Offering last-gen updates on PC is likely necessary to accommodate users with low-end systems, but FIFA on PC reached current-gen parity last year, while Madden will do so this year.

Visual Concepts and 2K Games have revealed details for NBA 2K24, and it will likely be another disappointment for PC players. Upgraded graphics, new gameplay elements, and cross-play will be exclusive to the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series versions. The webpage highlighting this year's content and upcoming features avoids mentioning the PC version entirely. The game's primary addition is ProPLAY, which will use real NBA footage to provide a generational leap in the game's animation quality.

Although this will be the fourth entry to release on current-gen consoles, NBA 2K24 will be the first to include cross-play between PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series in all game modes. This functionality didn't make it to PC. Moreover, last year's PC port lacked some of the career mode features from the current-gen consoles, and the latest version will likely be no different in that respect.

Whenever sports simulation franchises transition between console generations, the developer usually waits an extra year or two to bring new features to the PC version, essentially treating them like last-gen console owners. When the upgrade does come, it causes a dramatic increase in minimum system requirements, negatively affecting the significant number of users playing on modest hardware.

For the NBA 2K series, this last occurred with 2K15, and 2K24's requirements are very similar to its nine-year-old predecessor. The recommended spec lists decade-old chips like the Intel i5-4430 and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 770. The only potentially significant hurdle is the 110 GB storage requirement. The upside is that, like 2K23, this year's entry should have no trouble running on the Steam Deck or other recent handheld gaming PCs.

However, holding the PC version back for four years is excessive. Even NBA 2K15 system parity with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions only one year after those consoles debuted. More recently, EA's FIFA 23 ended its two-year lag last year, and Madden 24 will catch up this year.

NBA 2K24 launches September 8 for PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series consoles, and Nintendo Switch. The PC version costs $59.99, while the PS5 and Xbox Series editions are $69.99.

Permalink to story.

Smart business decision IMO

Most PC gamers dont have the hardware to pump the game if they increase the requirements too much.

I applaud them.

And this article is an attempt at negative press toward a decision that I think should be more common.

Well this shouldn't be surprising seeing how extraordinarily bad GPU sales are for Nvidia and AMD right now and you can blame both but mainly Nvidia for AAA PC gaming going into an inevitable slowdown: Companies wont spent money on a decently made PC port if GPU sales just continue in a downward spiral and Nvidia just double downs and releases worst and worst GPUs that are actually verifiably and measurably worst than last gen cards just by having less VRAM.

Of course Nvidia also will not care if they kill AAA PC gaming since they're making all of their money from the AI rush. Well, they might care slightly once that bubble, just like the crypto one, burst and leaves them with unsold inventory but by following up one of the longest no GPU for gamers periods ever since GPUs are a thing with possibly the worst products they've released in the last decade, there's just not gonna be much to rebuild by the time AI is no longer trendy in 3-5 years from now.

And honestly, I think PC gaming will be better off without AAA publishers at all: Is not like that experience will be just flat out unavailable since Microsoft (And eventually Sony) will just let you cloud-play whatever you want if you pay a monthly fee that's the future they're betting on and by just most casual gamers not being able to just grab a decent version of Sports - CurrentYear without fail there might be some people just trying a smaller indie title, sports or not, instead and one that has to be more innovative and fun because they can't offer super high visual fidelity, a recognizable IP, etc.

I love how people are defending what is obviously just developer laziness o.O this has nothing to do with support for low end pcs or the current gpu market… this is just a company attempting to sell a 9 year old game for 60 bucks another year or two before having to put in significant investment… it’s basically like Nvidia and the 4060 ti ‘upgrade’ only nine years in a row lol. Why are people defending that?

I love how people are defending what is obviously just developer laziness o.O this has nothing to do with support for low end pcs or the current gpu market… this is just a company attempting to sell a 9 year old game for 60 bucks another year or two before having to put in significant investment… it’s basically like Nvidia and the 4060 ti ‘upgrade’ only nine years in a row lol. Why are people defending that?
Gamers are, beyond all, consoooomers. They will willingly defend 2k, a company that has repeatedly abused them, removed features, broke online play, save games, locked players out of older titles, ece.

2k obviously sees the PC as a second rate platform. And guarantee they will continue to sell several million copies, therefore justifying their positions.

Smart business decision IMO

Most PC gamers dont have the hardware to pump the game if they increase the requirements too much.

I applaud them.

And this article is an attempt at negative press toward a decision that I think should be more common.
The year is 2023 if your deciding to play on a pc and playing NEW generational video games then you should upgrade to the proper specs. Just because little jimmy playing on his grandpas laptop from 2005 cannot handle the game doesn't mean it should ruin the experience for everyone else who have BOUGHT there gaming set ups. Graphical settings that can be changed? sure why not. But don't make a trash game that no one else wants to play because of cry babies who cant afford a actual set up. I should not have to play on last CONSOLE gen graphics on my 2500 dollar set up. I say add the choice of Next gen Or pass gen. Simple as that. If you think that spoiling someone else's fun so a cheap bastard can play then your a *****

The year is 2023 if your deciding to play on a pc and playing NEW generational video games then you should upgrade to the proper specs. Just because little jimmy playing on his grandpas laptop from 2005 cannot handle the game doesn't mean it should ruin the experience for everyone else who have BOUGHT there gaming set ups. Graphical settings that can be changed? sure why not. But don't make a trash game that no one else wants to play because of cry babies who cant afford a actual set up. I should not have to play on last CONSOLE gen graphics on my 2500 dollar set up. I say add the choice of Next gen Or pass gen. Simple as that. If you think that spoiling someone else's fun so a cheap bastard can play then your a *****
If you could read instead of try to defend ur expensive pc you would have READ that I agreed as its a good business decision.

My guess is you have no interest to buy this game, and 2K knows it. You think these companies make these kind of decisions by mistake??? They have more data on their users than we will ever be allowed to know.

Why is not building a new engine that may alienate a large player base so hard to comprehend? Especially for a SPORTS game.

And yeah, I know its 2023. And guess what? A handful of games are UNPLAYABLE over 60fps because some of these developers are using too much Vram. A 3070ti should be able to rip any game right now at 1080/1440p and it cant because of these types of poor decisions.

2K already knows their game is in a niche market on PC , they want to sell millions of copies, not thousands.

Back