Nearly a third of Americans would give up sex before their smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nearly one in three Americans would rather give up sex for three months instead of their smartphone for just one week according to a new survey from mobile intelligence developer Delvv.

In its Digital Habits Survey 2016, the firm asked 355 Americans at least 18 years of age or older a series of questions pertaining to their friends, family, technology and more. By far, the most surprising find is that roughly 29 percent of respondents would rather give up sex for an entire quarter instead of exchanging their smartphone for a “dumb phone” for a single week.

Delvv founder Felice Gabriel explains the metric to a T.

She tells Bustle that young adults have grown up immersed in a culture of instant gratification, adding that many have both a fear of missing out on new information and of being bored. Smartphones, she continues, deliver information instantaneously across many social channels which provides a sense of constant connectedness and validation from being the first to know someone’s news and / or receive positive feedback and approval about their updates.

I couldn’t have said it any better myself.

Interestingly enough, the survey also found that many people feel guilty for spending so much time using their smartphones. Nearly two in three (61 percent, to be exact) millennials believe they should cut down on their smartphone use compared to just 40 percent of Gen Xers and 14 percent of Baby Boomers.

Image courtesy Sorbis, Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Haha!

I would love to know the male to female ratio of the results. Did more women say they'd give up sex or was it more men?

Either way, funny article.

Well in a world when you can't even tell someones gender I'd start considering giving it up.

"I'm a girl!"
"that's a penis....."

yeah, I think smartphones are the way to go

I have a feeling a lot of people really didn't think their answer through on this one...

So if I stop using my phone for a whole week... Does that mean I get sex everyday for 3 months? If not what's the point haha.

Well in a world when you can't even tell someones gender I'd start considering giving it up.

"I'm a girl!"
"that's a penis....."

yeah, I think smartphones are the way to go

lol taken one too many trips to Thailand?

The best part about going on vacation is turning off the smart phone and telling people "I'll be out of coverage for the next 10 days, don't bother texting, calling or emailing me until I return to work," even when I'm planning on staying in town the whole time. Maybe I'm different and anti-social, or maybe it's 10 years of being obligated to answer the phone and solve business critical issues 24/7 that make me look at my smart phone as a vile, hateful device.

So your comment is sexist, and you are wrong. What I meant is that even lousy sex is still sex... there you go.
I knew what you meant and my comment maybe sexist but I don't care. What it is for certain is truth..

I knew what you meant and my comment maybe sexist but I don't care. What it is for certain is truth..

No it is not, man will certainly get an orgasm after pumping it long enough if necessary, that doesn't make it "enjoyable", bad sex goes both ways and a bad laid will be bad, for one or both.

Back