Need a new gpu

Cubeputer

I am running a self built 2018 pc. The specs are:
Ryzen 5 2400g
asrock ab350 ITX
550w psu
gtx 1060 6gb

Lately I've been noticing some freezing when I play games like gta5, and I can't run games at a consistent frame rate. I know with scalpers and low stocks a rtx 3090 costs about as much as a similar sized diamond. I am planning on waiting until this fall (when I have money and the market isn't crazy) to buy a gpu. What would be a good gpu that isn't going to be bottlenecked by my cpu, or should I get a new cpu?

If, and this is an enormous if, prices return to any kind of sensible level by Fall (and there's sufficient stock), then any GPU more powerful than the 1060 will be a 'good' choice.

GPUs aren't bottlenecked by CPUs - games are, and the level of the bottleneck is entirely dependent on what game it is and what settings it's being run at (graphics quality levels and resolution are the two biggest factors).

So when it comes to choosing your next GPU, consider the following aspects first:

> How much am I willing to spend on a new graphics card?
> What resolution does my monitor run at?
> What type of games do I like to play the most?

Field the questions with detailed answers first, and then it's much easier to choose a new card.

If, and this is an enormous if, prices return to any kind of sensible level by Fall (and there's sufficient stock), then any GPU more powerful than the 1060 will be a 'good' choice.

GPUs aren't bottlenecked by CPUs - games are, and the level of the bottleneck is entirely dependent on what game it is and what settings it's being run at (graphics quality levels and resolution are the two biggest factors).

So when it comes to choosing your next GPU, consider the following aspects first:

> How much am I willing to spend on a new graphics card?
> What resolution does my monitor run at?
> What type of games do I like to play the most?

Field the questions with detailed answers first, and then it's much easier to choose a new card.
I know you mean for me to think about this, but I am posting it on the thread anyway. I am willing to spend a good amount on one, and I may buy used or refurbished to save some money. I run my monitor at 1080p and not going to change that anytime soon. I like to play tactical shooters like overwatch, valorant, and csgo, but also like to play some more demanding and realistic games like forza and gta 5.

I know you mean for me to think about this, but I am posting it on the thread anyway. I am willing to spend a good amount on one, and I may buy used or refurbished to save some money. I run my monitor at 1080p and not going to change that anytime soon. I like to play tactical shooters like overwatch, valorant, and csgo, but also like to play some more demanding and realistic games like forza and gta 5.
You are not running a top end CPU so if you go too high in video cards your CPU might not be able to keep it fed. I think you can safely feed 3060 or 2070 (or lower) than you will see some CPU bottleneck after that. I am a huge Nvidia fan so I would order them this way

GTX1660
GTX1660 Super
GTX 1660 Ti
RTX 2060
RTX 2060 Super
RTX 3060
RTX 2070
RTX 2070 Super
RTX 2080
RTX 2080 Super
RTX 3070
RTX 3080
RTX 3090

All the info I have seen says that the cards won't be more available until 2022. Having said that I can clearly see that distributors are gobbling up the cards and then selling whole systems for a good price (example New Egg's ABS brand). I suggest you grab a whole RTX 3060 rig and sell/dump yours. We are talking under $1500 here. Why pay a HUGE inflated price just for a video card and why wait until 2022. The next best choice to is to keep pages open to places like Best Buy etc.. and refresh as often as you can in the hope one will be in stock. That's how I got my RTX 3090.

I believe the Radeon line has become a lot better with the into of 6700, 6800, 6900 but I have not owned one yet or run any tests. Perhaps others can chime in here and provide their opinion?

You are not running a top end CPU so if you go too high in video cards your CPU might not be able to keep it fed. I think you can safely feed 3060 or 2070 (or lower) than you will see some CPU bottleneck after that. I am a huge Nvidia fan so I would order them this way

GTX1660
GTX1660 Super
GTX 1660 Ti
RTX 2060
RTX 2060 Super
RTX 3060
RTX 2070
RTX 2070 Super
RTX 2080
RTX 2080 Super
RTX 3070
RTX 3080
RTX 3090

All the info I have seen says that the cards won't be more available until 2022. Having said that I can clearly see that distributors are gobbling up the cards and then selling whole systems for a good price (example New Egg's ABS brand). I suggest you grab a whole RTX 3060 rig and sell/dump yours. We are talking under $1500 here. Why pay a HUGE inflated price just for a video card and why wait until 2022. The next best choice to is to keep pages open to places like Best Buy etc.. and refresh as often as you can in the hope one will be in stock. That's how I got my RTX 3090.

I believe the Radeon line has become a lot better with the into of 6700, 6800, 6900 but I have not owned one yet or run any tests. Perhaps others can chime in here and provide their opinion?
Thanks for the info on the gpus. It seems as the rtx 3000 series are harder to get right now. I might go for the rx 6700 xt as it is more available and there are a lot of used ones that aren't too expensive. I have been an nvidia person my whole life, but I am thinking of going to radeon because they are in less of a shortage and they seem to have a less inflated price. The 6700 xt is in between the 3060 and 3070 in performance, more towards the 3060, and with what you said, the bottlenecking wouldn't be bad with the 3060. Also, I really don't have 1500 dollars to throw around, can't really afford that at the moment, and I believe there's still some years left on my pc.

Thanks for the info on the gpus. It seems as the rtx 3000 series are harder to get right now. I might go for the rx 6700 xt as it is more available and there are a lot of used ones that aren't too expensive. I have been an nvidia person my whole life, but I am thinking of going to radeon because they are in less of a shortage and they seem to have a less inflated price. The 6700 xt is in between the 3060 and 3070 in performance, more towards the 3060, and with what you said, the bottlenecking wouldn't be bad with the 3060. Also, I really don't have 1500 dollars to throw around, can't really afford that at the moment, and I believe there's still some years left on my pc.
Sounds good! =)

GTX1660
GTX1660 Super
GTX 1660 Ti
RTX 2060
RTX 2060 Super
RTX 3060
RTX 2070
RTX 2070 Super
RTX 2080
RTX 2080 Super
RTX 3070
RTX 3080
RTX 3090

Here I am, looking back at my old posts, and still with a lovely gtx 1060 6gb. I uhhhhhh really didn't think it was going to last this long. Hoping to score a 3060 ti from best buy at msrp soon, hopefully I can pull it off! Also, upgraded my cpu to a ryzen 7 2700x, so I should be able to handle a 3060 ti now. But damn, this has lasted too long.

Here I am, looking back at my old posts, and still with a lovely gtx 1060 6gb. I uhhhhhh really didn't think it was going to last this long. Hoping to score a 3060 ti from best buy at msrp soon, hopefully I can pull it off! Also, upgraded my cpu to a ryzen 7 2700x, so I should be able to handle a 3060 ti now. But damn, this has lasted too long.
Pretty much everything is faster than the GTX 1060 now. You could even go RTX 3050. I think an RTX 2060 (Super?) might be the deal out there for you.

Pretty much everything is faster than the GTX 1060 now. You could even go RTX 3050. I think an RTX 2060 (Super?) might be the deal out there for you.

Yea, I don’t really want to go with the 3050 because it’s only like 30% better than a 1060. I don’t want to spend that much money on something that doesn’t really get much more, even with dlss and stuff. I am happy to go 3060, but they don’t have a fe, so it’s hard to find it at msrp because they are all board partners. I’m just looking at when they restock the 3060 ti, and hopefully in a little while I can pick one up at msrp, which would be sick. If it never goes back in stock then I’ll have to just wait, or get like a 3060. Normally, I would go for an older series, but the 3000 series is going to be the old series very soon. It’s hard to believe, but my 1060 will turn 6 this year, and the 2000 series is coming up on 4 years!! Seems like I was seeing release videos about them just yesterday. Time flies in the tech industry for sure. I am still considering getting like a 2070 or 2080 super, but I’m a little worried that 2000 series will be dropped off the list for dlss 3.0 or whatever the hell they make next. I don’t know, it’s just so hard to predict what is going to happen. I will consider that though, and I do thank you for being super active on here and helping me out.

Back