Need a new graphics card - what can I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd741

I've been playing games for a while now, and have noticed that some of them seem to lag a little - I assume this is because of my graphics card as I have a relatively powerful processor. So I'm in the market for a new card:

1. Know your gaming limits -
Games I play most include: EVE Online (infact this is the game I play most), CoD 4, America's Army, Battlefield series, Footy Manager.

2. Tell us your budget -
I'm looking to spend around £150 at the most £200.

3. Tell us your Power Supply -
See attachment

4. We NEED Your Computer Specs. -

1. Motherboard - Dell Inc - (model=0RY206)
2. Graphic interface - PCI-Express, link width = x16, max supported = x16 (I think the graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS with 128mb of adapter ram)
3. Memory - type = DDR2, size = 4096mb, channels # = dual
4. CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
5. CPU Speed - Core speed for core #0 & core #1 = (+/-.1) 2812.5MHz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - no idea
7. Watt output/Amperage - no idea

5. Tell us what Country you're from -
UK

Thanks in advance
Tom

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 9
You'll need a new PSU for any new video card. I recommend this card and this PSU to go with it. Both are of excellent quality and will work flawlessly with your current system.

thanks for the response
do you think the reason my computer seems to lag on a lot of the games i play is due to the graphics card?
also, is installing the PSU as simple as installing the graphics card? (aka plug it in to the slot and install the drivers?)

cheers

Yes, your graphics card is the weakest link in your entire system and is the cause of the lag. As for installing the PSU, yes, you just put it into the case, screw it into place properly, attach all the cables securely and you're done. Then just power up the PC and start gaming. No drivers needed. If you want, you can get this PSU instead, since the modular cables will help keep the insides of your case clean and tidy while improving airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back