Need a northbridge cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

I've just OCed my comp by a fair bit, and I found that after awhile, it just crashes. And I managed to isolate the problem to my Northbridge, which more or less burnt my hand when I touched the heatsink.

So now I'm looking for a good heatsink for my northbridge. Preferably with a fan, but those seem to be alot more expensive, or they don't seem to be very effective (the Tt Extreme Spirit Cooler for one, cheap but the heatsink is so small, and the fan's only 3cfm at max, generating 41dB).

Anyone got any idea where I can get 40mm fans and just put it on top of a cheaper heatsink, say, the Zalman ZM-NB47J?

Or just a plain old HSF combo.

Or if you've got experience in this, and have a good heatsink you're using. Cos my bus isn't too happy running at 1.2Ghz (instead of 800Mhz).

Hello

Sounds to me you may want to consider liquid cooling.
Even though I'm liquid cooling, I'm using a vantec "iceberQ 4 " vga
heatsink and fan 6000 R.P.M, fan demensions: 40X40X10 mm.

I lapped the heatsink to make it real flat and used "artic silver"
thermal adhesive (2 part epoxy) be sure to follow instructions.
Works great so I won't be adding a chipset block.
G'Luck

Here might be a NB cooler that would be of interest, http://www.coolerguys.com/840556037323.html . Others I know have had them and were impressed. Just beware, they are high, and can come in conflict with the CPU fan, depending on model.

You might also try what I did. I attached a 40mm fan to my stock sink. Has done a fine job of cooling, and been running strong for almost 3 yrs...

Later....

O.o, I've seen that NB cooler, but at 80 bux, its about 4x more expensive than its competitors....

Anyway, I did as you did, and got myself a fan to put on top of my current NB HS.

It didn't help with the OC, I think the NB is set NOT to run anything higher than 230mhz.

i agree with socrates, liquid cooling is best

but if that's too intense for ya, then why not just slap a small fan on your existing northbridge??? (and BTW, dont ask me where to buy a small fan in AUS because i have no idea.. lol :) in the US we have RadioShack, perhaps there is a similar store where you live??)

I think I did mention that I got a 40mm fan. Doesn't seem to help (helps with temps, not with instability).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back