Status
Not open for further replies.

NZvista

Hi, my basic system specs are as follows:

ASUS M3A motherboard (AM2+ AMD 770)
AMD X2 6400+ dual core Cpu (AM2/)

Asus N8600GT Scilent PCI-Ex Video Card

Foxconn TSAA-998A ATX case

Whilst running speed fan i noticed i had an abysmal 2 fans in my CPU detected, this concerns me as my cpu temperature atm is 45-50 and Im told that it shoudl never go over 60 - a mark it flirts with constantly runnign such programs as google earth.

Is this an accident waiting to happen?

If so, how do I fix it, it is a store built CPU as I have limited computer knowledge. How hard is it to install extra fans or a "heat sink?"

Also, how much do these things cost/ what tools & equipemnt would be needed/ Are they readily available?

PS: I think i have a fan on my power supply, other than the two others..

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, If getting more fans is the way to go then obviously ill be opening up the case, and moving parts to put the fans in place, Is thier any precautions one must take??

The maximum operating temp for your CPU is around 60C, and since your CPU is a 90nm one, it is naturally hotter running than other Brisbane-based AMD CPUs like the X2 5x00+ series. Add another case fan if you must. As for precautions, make sure you ground yourself by touching any part of the case from the inside, and try to avoid working on carpets if possible.

Ok, thanks for the advice.

I have configured speed fan however so that it actually automatically works now, so when it gets above about 50c my fans go up to 5000rpm. I think this should suffice untill the time comes when it hits the 60c mark

Have just opened up the case, and cleaned all the dust out.

I'm now still considering getting another case fan.

I have a heat sink/fan on my mother board which is assuring + one fan at the back.

The is one section of vent on my case that still has not been covered, so i think i will put the fan there.

However, I am unsure whether or not I actually have the space. The M3A motherboard only has three fan slots a PWR_FAN slot, CPU_FAN slot, CHA_FAN.. the CPU_FAN slot as well as the CHA_FAN sot are already filled, would a regular fan work in the "PWR_FAN slot?"

Not unless the fan uses a 4-pin power connector. You could also buy a 4-pin to 3-pin converter for pretty cheap.

Ok, so the fan will only work If I use the 4pin one?

With the connector is it 4pin - 3pin or 3pin - 4pin?

Hi, I have bought a fan and it is being shipped to me now.

It is a 92x92 Nexus real silent case fan.

My problem is, I cannot decide where to put it, I have drawn a diagram of my computer setup (rough) I hope you can decipher it.

Currently, the air is sucked through the funnel tube towards the mother board heat sink and fan before being pushed out the back either by going through the vents in the power supply and out the psu exhaust or the exhaust fan below it.

The exhausts fans never go above 1500rpm and the intake heat sink fan can go above 5000rpm at times.

Should i put the fan at point 1 or point 2? And should it be an intake or exhaust fan?

Thanks very Much

2 should be intake, because:
It is lower than center (heat rises!)
It is towards the front (making an air passage to rear, above center, fan)

Ideally 2 should be mounted at Floor of case
Rear external fan should be mounted on roof of computer, allowing hot air out

Please click on pic:

I dont think thier is a big enough space under my case to allow sufficient air flow it is, at most 5mm above the ground. Surely this isnt enough?

Ok cool. placement 2. Does it seem wired to you that the people that made my computer didnt set it up so that air flows from the bottom front top back?

Weird ?

Not really. There are so many cases, so many designs.

Presently I have an 80x80 fan plugged in lower front of my case (sucking in), because I have a grill in the front. The only annoyance is now it has become a tad noisy (and it's at the front!)

I then have a fan at top, back of case blowing the hot air out

Hmm, actually I have 5 fans all up in there !

Sounds like you have your cooling pretty much sorted. I will be too, as soon as it arrives and is installed corectly. Im not realy prepared to make heavily aesthetical alterations, like a grill at the front of my case, a new hole pattern in the side is about as much change as i can manage in the search of assurance my computer wont melt :)

Something tells me Foxconn wouldnt accept a case that has been used for 9months since been sold at a store as part of a pre built computer. Im only modifying it now, 9 months later, out of need to keep myself occupied an to prevent it blue screening etc in 1 monh when i have my 3month school holidays (mass usage here i come :p)

Does it get that hot in NZ ?
Depends on if you're North or South I suppose

Anyway, that's just idle chat

Nah not really, i just like to tinker around with stuff in the hope of future prevention. This is my first ever cpu so ive been tryign to look after it as best as possile.

But yer, idle chat. I consider this help request solved, so you can go off and help the rest of the techspot society/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back