Need easy to setup and use popup blocker for IE & XP

macx

I use FF and have several installed which do a good job, altho I have to keep adding to
the block list. It seems the number of pop ups is inexhaustible and continue to grow!

My 80 year old cousin who is absolutely only a novice or basic user would like to
have some type of pop up blocker. She uses IE and runs XP.

As I have no IE experience, I would much appreciate some guidance.

I've read a little about AdBlock and AdBlock Pro - any good?

Thanks!

Hi Macx,

firstly make sure you have the latest IE installed (IE-8). you will be suprised that if you turn on the IE pop-up blocker ALOT of these pop ups will be blocked. You could also try installing the Free version of AVG.
The free version of AVG will actuall check sites in search engines before you visit them and give them a coloured rating next to them green - yellow - red which will give you a general idea on the safety of the website. If you visit the downloads section of the site here then security->Antirvirus you will find a version there.

You could also try downloading the free version of Zonealarm (*there are two here Pro + Free pick the free one) again available from the Secuity section unders downloads on this site where you will be able to prevent programs from accessing the internet if you dont want them to.

As for the Adblocker programes i have little time for them and prefer not to use them.

hope this help
James

She's got AVG Free, but I don't know what version of IE she has.

I suppose it's a manual operation (not an auto update) to upgrade to IE8 if she doesn't have it?
How can she upgrade ?

Then, how does she turn on the pop-up blocker?

Thanks!

Firefox with adblock plus and no script offers excellent protection.

If you want to use IE, you can download the latest version from Microsoft and enable the popup blocker. Another option would be to use a tool bar for IE like Google that has a popup blocker.

I use FF with all those add ons, but that's too complicated for her.

Still need to know how to enable the popup blocker in IE.

Back