Need faster flash drive connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just bought a 2gig flash drive for transfering work to and from school ect because my 256meg wasn't big enough and the advertised transfer speed for my new flash drive is 15meg/s write, 20meg/s read however when i tryed transfering data on to it it wrote to it at about 500kb/s an read it at about 800kb/s on a usb2 port any suggestions about how to speed it up?

pocesser: intel pentium 4 3ghtz (2 core)
ram: 1 stick of 1gig

thanks and if you need more hardware specks ask please

compwiz,mostly

Well, it what it is... And what it was advertised as might not be what it is supposed to be. :confused:

Heh, well anyway, the advertised speeds are usually an overstatement. This sounds like just plain old fashioned lies though. So it is worth checking out.

A simple suggestion I have is to make sure you have it plugged into directly to a USB port... Not one of those hubs. some front panel hookup or funky keyboard or monitor USB recepticles. No USB extensions, repeaters or other items which may interfere with the device being plugged directly to the back of your PC.

Obviously, you need to have USB 2 ports, which any recent computer has plenty of. Some computers, under Windows, require a little extra attention to get their USB ports working properly, including installing SP2 and updated chipset / USB host controller drivers.

You may also want to test it in another computer to make sure it isn't an isolated incident with just your system. If the speed is roughly as slow on another computer, then the drive is probably just crap and you should take it back.

Here's a recent, random USB flash drive roundup which benchmarks a number of USB flash drives: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/384/3

well i tryed it in the front usb conections and the rear usb with no difference i have windows XP sp2 and as far as i know i have all the latest drivers for all my hardware on my computer so i am going to try it at school on monday to see if it is my computer

thanks for you help anyway and if there is any more isuses i could try please post them here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back