Need Help Cloning Old Hard Drive to New Hard Drive (quick question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a quick question about cloning a old hard drive to a new hard drive on a desktop computer.

I bought a new 320 GB EIDE hard drive (my computer uses IEDE not SATA) about 3 months ago.
I successfully installed it and it works, but when I set it up as a secondary (slave) hard drive (when I say set it up I mean: physically on the hard drive before I installed it into the computer, I put it to slave not master; and I virtually set it up to a slave hard drive when the computer booted up and all that stuff).
Then I put a music folder in the slave hard drive, that's it.

Now, about 3 months later, I see that I should have just set up my new hard drive to be the master hard drive because my old 70 GB hard drive is just way to small to be used for a computer.
I want to clone my old hard drive to the new hard drive (I want to boot on this hard drive and have everything that was on the old hard drive). I also want to set my new slave hard drive to the master hard drive and the old hard drive to the slave. I looked on the internet and youtube and I know how to clone so I'm alright there.

So since I want to set my slave hard drive as the master:
QUESTION: Do I take my new hard drive out of the computer and physically switch it to master BEFORE cloning, or AFTER cloning (because I'm sure you have to physically do this on the hard drive right? not just virtually through a program)? And do I have to put the new hard drive where the old hard drive currently is in the computer because it will be the master or can I just leave it where it is (in a place for extra hard drives)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back