Need help connecting PC to HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob2931

Hello

I am trying to connect my Geforce 8800 GTS to my HDTV. I can do this with S video but I was hoping I could get some sort of HDMI to work also. The manual that came with the Geforce card says its outputs are 'HDCP'. The people at every store I go to try sell me DVI to HDMI cables but they dont fit, wrong number of pins. The pin layout on my card looks like this (going to try draw it):

::|::::::::

which isnt DVI which has a bunch of 3-by-something pins. how can i connect my pc to the tv?

Hey man, thanks for the info but the only problem is that I honestly have no idea what I really have here - that page doesnt mention HDCP so I'm lost, idk if I have VGA or DVI or what. If you could translate it into more understandable terms and tell me what cable i need id be grateful

I am not familiar with the connector on the video card but this site has to have the cable you need. I use them when I need a cable or a connector. They have good pictures of the connectors and I'm sure if you call and ask them they can send you exactly what you need. http://tinyurl.com/38u3er

OK HDCP=High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of Digital Rights Management (DRM) developed by Intel Corporation to control digital audio and video content as it travels across Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), or Unified Display Interface (UDI) connections. The specification is proprietary, and creating an implementation of HDCP requires a license. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

OK this is how it is

there are two types of DVI connections, DVI-d and DVI-i (I think)

DVI-d is the Home Media format, whereas DVI-i is a PC format. Rather than convert my DVI-i output to a HDMI, I just stuck a VGA converter on it and im running the signal through VGA, which for my purposes is just as powerful as HDMI

So yeah, I finally found someone at best buy that knew wtf they were talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back