Need help dual booting

I recently purchased a new hard drive and installed vista on it just replacing the old hard drive. I formated the old hard drive and want to install xp on it. I was told that i couldnt just install it easy i did dual boot both before but on 1 hard drive and i was told it was different for 2 hard drives. I already have the new hard drive in and working and the second hard drive is in the second slot on the laptop so for now i just put spare files on it. I need help figuring out exactly how to install xp on the second hard drive. I was told i have to take the hard drive with vista out of the laptop and i was also told i just have to changes some settings in the bios so just to be sure i thought i would ask.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just install xp in the second hard drive like you did when dual booting in single drive. There is no significant difference. But for the second hard drive to be able to boot, you need it to have active partition and install xp to that partition.

To activate a partition, you can use Drive management from Administrative Tools > Computer Management in Control Panel.

Chances are your old hard drive already have active partition on it. So you could immediately install XP on it. But it's never hurt to check first using the Disk Management from the current OS.

Back