Need help quieting my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

anderu1

I just added new memory and a new graphics card to my dell dimension 3000 desktop computer. when i added the new memory the computer was fine, but when i put the new graphics card in and started it up the fan started going really loud. (sorry not very technical). Is there any way to make the fan quiet down? the new card I put in did not have a fan attached to it. The card is a PNY GeForce 5200 PCI card.

i just rifled through my spare parts drawers and looked at a GeForce 5200 I have, and i remember that those little suckers were loud. they have a two pin fan connector, and while it is possible to rig it to a fan controller, if i remember correctly, those had to pretty much go all out to maintain a decent temp. you could try a passive heatsink with a slot fan?

do you know of any good ones that i can use? that is with a dell dimension 3000 that has only pci slots. also would adding multiple heatsinks one for each of the major items keep the noise down?

thanks for the help. also does the company that made the graphics card change the part that will work. because I checked the fans manufacturer website and it shows that it works on the card but a different manufacterer made the card. also would adding multiple heatsinks quiet it down because i would like to make it as quiet as possible. I am willing to spend the money on the extra heatsinks if they fit that way the fan doesnt have to run as much or at all.
sorry about all the questions im still learning

not really no. if you want to modify your card, your going to have to do it. secondly, there are two fans on your system you have to have, the exhaust fan , and the cpu fan. if you keep everything else at a db level at or less than them, it will be a quiet machine. (assuming those are quiet) look for fans that are rated at 25 db or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back