Need help selecting new processor and motherboard

jo5

Have a home computer (E6600 2 gig ram) The led and activity lites an power supply fan keeps running after it shuts down so I have been turning off the powersupply
When I turned the power supply on today I got a puff of smoke out the back
So I'm going to use my case,burners,hard drives,video card etc and upgrade
I'll replace the power supply use Window 7 64 bit, ram etc
I don't game ,mostly use the web burn DVD an blue ray later
I've used Intel an Gigabyte in the past with good success
I haven't build a computer foe several years so appreciate your help
I'll be getting the parts from newegg
Thanks

A few quick questions for clarification:
  • You mentioned reusing your RAM modules, are the modules DDR3?
  • A new motherboard will likely not support IDE drives, are all your drives SATA drives?
Intel Core i3, i5, and i7
  • 1st generation - LGA1156 (Nehalem)
  • 2nd generation - LGA1155 (Sandy Bridge)
  • 3rd generation - LGA1155 (Ivy Bridge)
  • 4th generation - LGA1150 (Haswell)
If you want the latest and greatest, the 4xxx CPU's and the LGA1150 CPU socket is what you are looking for. If the second (2xxx CPU's) and third (3xxx CPU's) generation is good for you, the LGA1155 CPU socket is what you are wanting to look at.

No I'll replace the ram my modules won't work in anew system
All my drives and burner are sata
I want to keep the cost down ( I have a newer i5 win 7 system)
But I would spend the money to get a good system
Thanks for your reply

With keeping cost down this is the lowest, I have been willing to go. You mentioned Gigabyte, so I didn't even look at the other brands. For explanation between chipsets, have a read from the following link. Intel Z77 'Panther Point' Chipset Overview

GIGABYTE GA-H77M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX
or if you have room for a standard ATX motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

with Intel i3 series (I personally wouldn't go less than i3)

If you are willing to spend more than $250 for motherboard and CPU, another i5 system could be an option.

The most important piece of information is your budget.

I'd go with a Haswell i5 (4430 or 4570) and H87 motherboard. The chipset improvements over Ivy Bridge and the fact that it's a quad core will ensure you won't need to upgrade for a long time.

Also make sure you get a decent branded PSU not some cheap generic one.

TBH I'd get an AMD APU for <$200 and call it good.
Right now the A10-5800k is available on newegg with a $20 promo code and a $30 combo with a gigabyte UP4.
That's a high end board that originally cost $120 though, so you'd probably be better off getting a $60 mATX along with the $110 A10-5800k.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated
Think I'll go with i5 either Ivy or sandy (probably Ivy Bridge)
Think I will still go with Win 7.Don't think I'm ready for Win 8 yet
Thanks again

If you're not reusing your video card the A10-5800k has a much more powerful integrated graphics and the CPU processing power difference is pretty negligible watching videos/blurays, which probably barely load one core. Plus it's a lot cheaper. IMO it is a much smarter buy for lower end (especially non-gaming/non-video processing) computers.

AMD FX-8350 = £150 = As good as the i7 4770k (If you overclock which this setup is awesome for) for a fraction of the price.
&
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 = £150 + 7 years warranty I think it is. (over engineered)

These two are commonly paired for goof reason :)

Intel Corei5 4430 Haswell , ASUS Z87-K Mobo Great System For Mid - Range .

+ VGA : Sapphire 7870 GHZ ED

Back again getting on the new computer again
I can buy a i5-4670k haswell from newegg for $220 I don't over clock but for only $20 seems like it would be better than the i5-4670 our i5-4570 am I right?
Also seems like the 1150 motherboard for the long run is the way to go
Don't really have a good mid-range board yet Think I should go with a Z87 chip unless you think otherwise Have looked at Asrock ASUS Gigabye but none yet
Looking at a newegg corsair CX600 power supply
Haven't got a graphic card yet don't need one for gaming but want a decent one The one in my old computer is a GeForce 9800 I know I need to upgrade
Still on 8 GB G skill ares ram Newegg again
Thanks again Always harder when you don't know what your doing

I don't need a machine to game o So I don;t need high end components
But I want a good one that will last
I'll spend what I have too
Probably not more than $900.00

IMO 9800GT is plenty powerful if you're not gaming, and I daresay AMD's sockets will last a lot longer than Intel's 1150. It's most likely only going to have broadwell processors released for it next year, and that'll be it for that socket.

In fact, for web browsing and movies if I were you, I wouldn't bother upgrading. I'm not sure and you weren't clear what part broke exactly. If it's the power supply, I'd just replace it with something like a Rosewill Capstone 450. If it's the motherboard, then I'd switch to an AMD Athlon II 760k and accompanying motherboard and RAM but reuse the 9800GT. And also add in an SSD.

Wouldn't pick the corsair CX600 for something to "last". It's pretty mediocre.

I replaced the power supply a while back and it run fine now
I need to replace XP with win 7 and my existing components won't run it
so need to upgrade

Don't worry they'll run windows 7 fine. The best upgrade you can get is an SSD, and since you'll be reinstalling an OS, it's a solid time to upgrade. Also an extra 2GB of RAM.

Thought I'd update my progress I ended up with the following system
Win 7 64 bit
i5 4670 haswell intell cpu
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard
Corsair TX 650 Power Supply
8 gb Ram
Intell 530 240 gb SSD drive
Seagate 500gb hard drive
Seagate 1tb Hard drive
Really like the system particularly the SSD boots into windows in 8-10 seconds
Thanks again for your advice and recommendations really helped me

That's what I said above; to be honest, the other components are most likely a waste and aren't really helping to make anything faster.
It's a nice system with a high end overclocking+SLI/Xfire board with a cpu that's not going to be overclocked and no graphics card.
In other words I think you could have saved a good amount of money with smarter choices but thanks for the update and enjoy your new system.

Thought I'd update my progress I ended up with the following system
Win 7 64 bit
i5 4670 haswell intell cpu
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard
Corsair TX 650 Power Supply
8 gb Ram
Intell 530 240 gb SSD drive
Seagate 500gb hard drive
Seagate 1tb Hard drive
Thanks again for your advice and recommendations really helped me
Great build. Glad to help.